PDA

View Full Version : New tranny pan questions....

Shed
05-11-2008, 09:48
Getting ready to install a Mag-Hytec tranny pan. And being a non-mechanic I have some questions....

1. Does anyone know how much more fluid this pan holds over stock? Need to have enough on hand.

2. What else must be done to consider this a full tranny service? I have the new deep filter and will replace the spin on filter.

3. How do I get all of the old tranny fluid out? I am refilling with Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid.

All this being done in anticipation of the first big camping vacation of the year! 1200 miles to Arkansas!

Any other tips for this upcoming long haul? Other than bring lots of fuel money? :D

Thanks for the imput! Shed

tpitt
05-11-2008, 10:02
Plan on at least 14qts total. I don't know what stock takes. This will not change out all of the fluid though. What kind of Amsoil are you going to use in it? They have a special oil for the Allison.

tpitt

Shed
05-11-2008, 15:01
I have been using the ATF something or other. Amsoil rep looked it up and that was the reccommendation. Is there something else that maybe this rep does'nt know? Want to use whats best for the Allison.

That pan holds 14 more quarts than stock? Or I will have to relace 14 quarts? I think the manual says it holds 19qts. stock.
Thanks for any info., Shed

tpitt
05-11-2008, 18:52
14 quarts total. I've changed several of these pans, and it usally takes 13 or 14 quarts total. You will not get all of the oil out, unless you flush it. I don't remember what Amsoil calls their Allison oil, but you can go on their website and find out. I personally have transend in mine. Terry

DmaxMaverick
05-11-2008, 19:48
Amsoil has 2 Allison compatible synthetic fluids. One is Universal Synthetic ATF, and the other is TorqueDrive. TorqueDrive is TES-295 compliant, which is the same standard qualifying Transynd by Allison. This doesn't mean anything unless the Allison is in a medium or heavy duty vehicle. TES-295 does not address nor include light trucks (up to and including the 3500 series). Any of the 3 fluids mentioned here are fine, as are many others. I use TorqueDrive.

tpitt
05-12-2008, 15:06
Amsoil has 2 Allison compatible synthetic fluids. One is Universal Synthetic ATF, and the other is TorqueDrive. TorqueDrive is TES-295 compliant, which is the same standard qualifying Transynd by Allison. This doesn't mean anything unless the Allison is in a medium or heavy duty vehicle. TES-295 does not address nor include light trucks (up to and including the 3500 series). Any of the 3 fluids mentioned here are fine, as are many others. I use TorqueDrive.

I agree completely, altough the 2006 and above call for DexVI. The reason I went with Transynd is I have the Billet torque, and different valve body. My transmission was completely drained so, why not?

tpitt
05-12-2008, 15:07

I agree completely, although the 2006 and above call for DexVI. The reason I went with Transynd is I have the Billet torque, and different valve body. My transmission was completely drained so, why not?

Shed
05-29-2008, 09:16
Okay, I'm sorry for being a pain in the rear, but I need some sort of step by step instructions on flushing the ATF and refilling with synthetic. If anyone could advise me on this I will be forever indebted! Thanks

Step 1: Drain pan.
Step 2: remove spin on filter.
Step 3: Remove stock pan.
Step 4: ??????

That is as far as I can get for sure without me getting confused. Sorry to be a pain!

Shed

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2008, 09:50
Leave the spin-on filter until last. Set the E-brake.

Drain the pan. Replace the internal filter and pan. You must use the extended filter with the deeper pan. You didn't say, but I'm assuming the pan is the increased capacity. If not, a standard internal filter is fine. You can reuse the pan gasket if it isn't damaged. Once the pan is installed and torqued properly, make sure the drain plug is installed and torqued.

Remove the "from cooler" or "inlet" (top) line from the tranny. Pull back the plastic collar and pull the staple-shaped clip. Get a grip on it, or it will take flight to places unknown! The line should pull free, but you may need to wiggle it. Once the line is removed, replace the wire clip. The line will snap back into place once you are finished.

Route the line to a suitable container. Fill the pan (through the dipstick tube) with 8 qts for a standard capacity pan, 12 qts for the deeper pan.

Start the engine and let it idle (no high idle). Watch the return line for fluid to flow. As soon as it starts to slow down, or shows bubbles, stop the engine. Refill the pan, same as before. Repeat this until you have finished flushing, and the fluid color has changed from the old to new. Hold out at least 8 qts for standard fill, or 12 qts for deeper pan fill. Once flushed, replace the return line. Align it squarely with the fitting and push it in until it bottoms. It should click as the clip engages the line. Wiggle and tug on it (not enough to bend or damage the line) to ensure a good fit. It should not pull out, and should look as it did before.

Fill the pan to the "full cold" level. You should have some ATF left, as you will probably need it once all the air is purged. Replace the spin-on filter now.

Warm it up to operating temp. The SES lamp may come on. Don't worry, it's just air in the system, which will purge with driving, and the lamp will clear once you've had a few starts. Once up to operating temp after a drive, check the level again (engine idling, in P). The level should be between the cold and hot marks. If not, add enough to bring it just short of the hot mark. Drive it and get it warmed up well. Check the level again, and fill it to the full hot level. Done. Check it for leaks and fluid level frequently for a couple hundred miles. If the return line leaks, remove and reseat it. Check the O-ring position and condition.

If you run into any unique conditions, email or PM me.

Shed
05-29-2008, 13:39
Maverick, Thanks again for bailing me out! I think your process will get me through! Hopefully this weekend will be the end of my maint. for the upcoming trip! Thank you very much again, hopefully I won't have to bother you with more problems!!! Shed