PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 injection pump woes.

joe bleaux
05-13-2008, 20:28
Well, '84 van, 6.2l n/a diesel wouldn't start one day after being my "Old Faithful". Did all of the usual bleeding g/p checking, etc. Thought it may be fuel solenoid. Got newer style (much stronger pull in) and still same thing.

Younger men would laugh and brag when I say that the removal of i/manifold/i/p pipes, i/p is akin to being drug behind Attila The Hun's horses. In fact, I love horses when they are alive. These dead horses don't eat much but they are lazy, too.

Anyway, I conjured spirits of the netherworld, sacrificed 3 roaches, 1 ant and I got the pump out.

Now, the question to which I already know the answer: Is the front flange on the pump supposed to rotate as easily as a hummingbird flutters its wings in a wind tunnel? This thing has no resistance at all and I am certainly discounting a centrifugal clutch - how would it be synchronized?

Tomorrow afternoon, I will have my curiosity satiated but, how can I live until then as I die a thousand deaths before I go the the Stanadyne shop?

Anyone have any bullets for sale?

Joe

joe bleaux
05-14-2008, 16:58
Got back from the Stanadyne shop and they said that the head shaft is broken. They will have a rebuilt pump for me in a day or so. It won't be the same pump.

He also said he would check my injectors if I bring them in as if an injector is clogged, it will also snap a shaft.

I wish we had an Injector Pump Section 101 and also the same for Injectors 101.

I am installing a Racor R24P before I fire it up next.

Joe

Well, '84 van, 6.2l n/a diesel wouldn't start one day after being my "Old Faithful". Did all of the usual bleeding g/p checking, etc. Thought it may be fuel solenoid. Got newer style (much stronger pull in) and still same thing.

Younger men would laugh and brag when I say that the removal of i/manifold/i/p pipes, i/p is akin to being drug behind Attila The Hun's horses. In fact, I love horses when they are alive. These dead horses don't eat much but they are lazy, too.

Anyway, I conjured spirits of the netherworld, sacrificed 3 roaches, 1 ant and I got the pump out.

Now, the question to which I already know the answer: Is the front flange on the pump supposed to rotate as easily as a hummingbird flutters its wings in a wind tunnel? This thing has no resistance at all and I am certainly discounting a centrifugal clutch - how would it be synchronized?

Tomorrow afternoon, I will have my curiosity satiated but, how can I live until then as I die a thousand deaths before I go the the Stanadyne shop?

Anyone have any bullets for sale?

Joe

DmaxMaverick
05-14-2008, 17:49
....I wish we had an Injector Pump Section 101 and also the same for Injectors 101....

You haven't read the entire content of the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm), have you? Careful. You just might find what you're looking for.

joe bleaux
05-14-2008, 18:06
Nope, I haven't yet. I just recently joined and I did look through some of it but didn't run across what I had mentioned about head shaft and clogged injector/s.

I guess it is there so, I will have to get time to look more carefully.

Joe

You haven't read the entire content of the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm), have you? Careful. You just might find what you're looking for.

joe bleaux
05-14-2008, 18:11
Are you talking about this, DMax: 6.2L/6.5L Diesel
Injection Pumps and Injectors
Written 1999

Joe

DmaxMaverick
05-14-2008, 18:44
One of them. There are several that may apply. (I haven't read them all, either)

I don't know that one of them will cover a head shaft issue, specifically. That is a unique failure (uncommon). And, I doubt very seriously a plugged injector would cause that. It may exaggerate another existing condition, but I don't believe it to be the cause, solely. The pump is capable of producing ~3000+ PSI. If an injector is plugged, it just won't pop. More likely, it will blow through the return, which is what it does, anyway, under normal conditions. The injector tolerances are quite liberal (sloppy, for lack of a better term). In all likelihood, it would leak past before it caused the pump to crap. The explanation you got is possible, but highly unlikely. So unlikely, I would consider it a fluke.

joe bleaux
05-14-2008, 20:21
Well, the pump is old in the rebuild dept.

Anyway, what I was referring to when I said I/P 101 and Injectors 101 is a very thorough treatise of their internals and theory of operation with a liberal dose of do's, don'ts and troubleshooting.

Sources of reliable and frugal rebuild would possibly create a clamor among some re-builders to come onboard for new business. I do see some vendors on this board but they don't seem to be cheaper than anyone else.

Some "how to" info would be great i.e, what type of tool one needs to remove the three i/p bolts. Sources for this tool would be good, too.

These two items, the i/p and injectors are the heart of the diesel engine yet, scant little is available here to really get into the diagnosis, servicing (injectors), etc.

It would also be helpful if some new obscene language could be suggested by folks who have attended this pump.

Joe

One of them. There are several that may apply. (I haven't read them all, either)

I don't know that one of them will cover a head shaft issue, specifically. That is a unique failure (uncommon). And, I doubt very seriously a plugged injector would cause that. It may exaggerate another existing condition, but I don't believe it to be the cause, solely. The pump is capable of producing ~3000+ PSI. If an injector is plugged, it just won't pop. More likely, it will blow through the return, which is what it does, anyway, under normal conditions. The injector tolerances are quite liberal (sloppy, for lack of a better term). In all likelihood, it would leak past before it caused the pump to crap. The explanation you got is possible, but highly unlikely. So unlikely, I would consider it a fluke.

Robyn
05-15-2008, 06:46
Good idea to remove the Injectors and have them checked.
They may need help anyway.

Robyn