PDA

View Full Version : May 15-08 RedRock haul

Robyn
05-16-2008, 07:50
Caught these pix yesterday on the trip over east to get Red Cinder for a customer.

Weather was beautiful and the amount of snow on the roadside over the pass was abundant for this time of year.
The pix dont show much of the snow as there were few places to stop that gave me good snow scenes.

Very uneventful trip, took about 8 hours over and back with time for a little stretch here and there. A good friend road shotgun to keep me company.

Darn trucks, just can never get enough of a wheel and a stick in my little paws.

I did notice that the amount of Rv's on the road for this time of year were far fewer than I normally see on this trip.

Best

Robyn

a5150nut
05-16-2008, 20:38
Wahts all them axels for?

2 onths ago I went back to Virginia. They don't have doubles or transfers bak there. Saw quite a few trucks like yours with the single lift axel and almost as many with two lifts. Some two in front of the drives and some one and one. But there was one truck in town that had two standard size lift axels in front of the drives and on more smaller one just behind the cab. And their boxes where huge. Saw quite a few semi bottoms with one lift on the tractor and 3 axels on the trailer. Never did find out what kind of GVW they ran.

Nice pics you put up there...............made me feel better after the 98 degrees we had here today!:D

Robyn
05-17-2008, 07:15
Oh Yeah
Velocipeeeeeds. :D

We have those here too. 7Axle solo's with super singles up front, three drop axles with little tiny tires, a set of standard tandems and a long boom out the back with another self stearable on it. The last one folds up and over the top to get it out of the way during dumping.

High capacity inner city short hauls where they want max payload and not having to deal with a trailer.

Here they are adding on to the light rail commuter train system and are using a buttload of these super solo's on the job.

They can gross 80K. I think about 23-25 Tons net payload.

I am good for 15 tons on the truck and 18.5 on the wagon.

The road limit on an annual heavy haul permit (non divisible load) here is 105,500#.

Actually my little company was the first ever to have a transfer with the axle setup such as the one I have now.

I bought an 84 Pete with a Fruehauf transfer set out of central California back in the winter of 91.

This was a 3 axle truck and a 2 axle trailer. I got it home and streched the drawbar out to 26 ft and added a drop axle to the truck for the first season. (96K gross)

The following season I worked out a deal with a local trailer Mfg to stretch the trailer frame and we added the tridem axxle setup to the rear. (105,500 gross)

People howled that "It will never work" "You can't do it that way"

Why I asked?? "Because it wont work"
I got this Bull Roar from several companies I contacted about doing the work.
The outfit I used had me come in and work with their guys to get it just as I desired.

It worked great and My net payload was 34.26 tons with that monster.
Only problem was that the transfer was electric and was not worth a tap in the hills where you had to swap the tin on an upgrade or even worse on a downslope :eek:

It was 3 months after I started using it on the road that I caught a salesman from Reliance snapping pix of it on a job and then just a few weeks later their adds showed up in the truck trader for their "All New 4 axle transfer combination"

Hmmm, wont work eh? everybody does it that way now.

There are some morphs on the design with a few using a liftable stearable on the last of the 3 rear axles or a liftable on the first of the rear group.

The draw bars last forever and there is so little tire wear on the dolly tires when it has a single axle.

The older styles had a tandem/ tandem setup and they broke sticks all the time and were hell on tires.

Guess all the nay sayers must have been wrong Huh?? seems to be an industry standard that I created back then.

I do love the hydraulic drive on the setup I have now. Its smooth and works fine from 7% upgrade to 7% downgrade with no issues.

Have to be a tad careful on a downhill to not let the tub get going to fast as it will overun the hydraulics when you try to slow it as it aproaches the front stops. This can be a tad exciting if it gets away and slams into the truck.

Hence the term "Slam Bangers"

Actually that term came from the old California units that had no power on the tub. You simply parked on a slope and cut the tub loose and rolled it into the truck, "Slam" and then with the truck box up slightly cut it loose when it was empty and rolled it back onto the trailer, "Bang"

Our friends up to the great white North have taken this tech and made it even better.
They place two boxes on the trailer, one off the front and one off the back. Even heavier gross weight loaded and more payload.

There are a few here with 2 trailer boxes that are being used for light stuff like pumice hauls and such.

Just a little local history.

Thanks for the ++ on the pix

Robyn