PDA

View Full Version : Killin' the Cat...

DieselDavey
05-17-2008, 12:59
Hello again!

Wonder if I'm in over my head.

I'm trying to drop the Catalytic Converter and install a straight pipe.

I've got a piece of 2-1/2" Pipe with a flare on one end, clamps and Muffler joint sealant...

I cut the clamp at the rear of the Cat to the Muffler.

I can't pull or twist the muffler free of the Cat...

Any secrets? I used a pipe wrench to try and twist it.

Heat it? Beat it?

I see why people install the straight muffler at the same time.

Wish I had the cash for a larger exhaust...

I'm just trying to see if the Cat is plugged... it may be the reason for no power pulling my camper.

The cat is welded to the pipe that goes all the way to the flange at the down pipe. I need to carefully cut the Cat free at the weld.

I'm doing all of this from under the vehicle. Do you remove all the pipe from the down pipe flange back and put the thing on a bench when doing this?

I want to make sure I can do this before I screw up the exhaust and have to take it to a shop.

Thanks,

Dave

AKMark
05-18-2008, 13:28
I pulled the cat and muffler, and now run a 4' section of pipe where they used to be.

It's not obnoxious or anything. The turbo spools up better and my mpg went up almost 2mpg. The old cat took almost 10 psi of pressure to get air through it. Yeah, it was toast.

JTodd
05-18-2008, 14:13
I pulled the cat and muffler, and now run a 4' section of pipe where they used to be.

It's not obnoxious or anything. The turbo spools up better and my mpg went up almost 2mpg. The old cat took almost 10 psi of pressure to get air through it. Yeah, it was toast.

I did the same thing. Can hear the turbo and exhaust is throaty, but not bad.

sturgeon-phish
05-19-2008, 04:52
Before I went to the new exhaust I gutted the cat by unbolting it at the downpipe and cutting behind the cat. Punched it out then sleved a short section of pipe over the cut end and rebolted the flange at the downpipe.
Most expensive part was a new gasket.
Jim