PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter change??

95turbodiesel
05-17-2008, 19:54
I need some help changing out the fuel filter on my 1995 6.5td. What are the exact procedures used to change it out, i am quite confused on the whole procedure.Thank you

rhsub
05-17-2008, 23:36
Fuel filter is at rear of intake manifold under "Turbo Diesel" cover
Clean dirt from around filter
Remove large plastic retaining nut (3" dia approx), this is supposed to be hand tight but a large pair of channel locks usually comes in handy. Be gentle
Remove filter, check for debris in housing and remove as necessary
Install filter note filter only fits properly in one position, install and snug up plastic nut
Open vent on top of filter and run lift pump, this can be done several ways
1 cycle ignition key on,off while listening for the lift pump tat tat noise under vehicle (drivers seat area), pump should run for several seconds each time key is turned on, do this until a good stream of fuel comes out of the vent, close vent and start engine, may run rough for several minutes
2 Remove plastic cover on upper passenger side of firewall, should be a fuse in a holder there, this is the fuel pump fuse, remove fuse/wire from holder, do not remove fuse from harness, touch fuse to large wire terminals there. I touch the terminal bolt to the fuse through the small test holes in the top of the fuse, this should start up the pump, run pump till fuel comes from vent as before

Note check for lift pump operation before removing old filter, they will run if the lift pump is not operating until you open the system up ie change the filter. lift pump operation can be verified by first listening for the pump, then by either opening the air vent valve on the old filter or opening the water in fuel drain tap (small brass tap usually mounted by thermostat) and cycling ign key, fuel should come out, if not fix lift pump before you change the filter because it will not start until you do
Good luck
Ron

Robyn
05-18-2008, 07:12
On a 95 the operation of the lift pump can be done easily.
Have a helper work with you.
With the park brake set and the engine OFF place the tranny (Auto) in any range other than neutral or park and then switch the ign key to the start position.

The pump will happily pulse away and you can bleed the air out of the filter.

Once the filter is bled at the top, do the same procedure at the water drain up front and then you good to go.

best

Robyn

Hubert
05-18-2008, 13:38
clipped....

Once the filter is bled at the top, do the same procedure at the water drain up front and then you good to go.
Robyn

What's the idea here Robyn? I just changed my filter and was trying different tips to trying to improve my technique. I don't like the air bleed on the factory filter if you open it too much diesel leaks out under the knob. Its hard to find just open enough for air but not leak fuel excessively when you attach a short piece of hose to the air bleed and route it to a soda jug and try and purge ALL the air out but not spill diesel all over the back of the engine.

This last time I cracked open the water bleed and cracked open the air bleed both were still almost sealed and I let it pump a little fuel through water bleed then shut it and did the same with air bleed last. I was thinking it would soften the surge and keep from getting a bubble in the fuel manager can

You can search there are a few other good tips in various threads.

Here is one of my favorites. Open air purge valve and water bleed then softly blow air in air purge this will force most of the fuel out of the manager before removing filter. Then turkey baster the rest out wipe out bowl with rag and look for screen before putting in new filter. Make sure old gasket and old metal ring came off with old filter too.

Turbo Al
05-24-2008, 15:45
O.K. lots of ways to change the filter BUT before you do check that the pump is actually running with enough pressure to refill the system before you take the filter out or you will end up with a dead chev. Please don't ask me how I know this.

The best check is with the engine running open the small black bleed knob on the top of the filter/seperator untill the fuel shoots at least one inch in the air. If it does you have enough fuel pump pressure.

The engine will run with a maginal fuel pump because the injection pump will help it along.

My truck will rev up to about 2200 rpm with no fuel pump at all. Please don't ask me how I know this either LOL.

Al