PDA

View Full Version : You put Gas in tank,?

Pete Brenenstuhl
05-18-2008, 02:58
During WWll Gi's found a field of new German trucks, they were short of vehicles and wanted to use them, problem,they were diesel and US Army did not have access to Diesel fuel. In the Batallion there was an automotive engineer who solved the problem,, just add one quart of 30W oil to each gallon of gas.. wal la problem solved Army used the trucks for weeks untill Diesel was found. One day While driving my Merceded 240-D I ran low on Diesel a few years ago before Diesel was so prevelant and when on fumes i pulled into a gas station and put in 4 gal of gas and added 4 qts of oil, Mercedes ran great to my destination of over 50 miles no loss of power, no knocking,,couldnt gtell the difference,, kept car for another 100,000 miles

More Power
05-20-2008, 14:20
In an emergency, I'd try it.... ;) However, what might work for one diesel engine might not work or could actually damage another. The risk of not knowing what might happen and the high cost or repair usually keep people from experimenting.

Gasoline has an octane rating, which is a measure of its ability to resist spontaneous ignition. Diesel fuel has a cetane rating, which is a measure of its ability to spontaneously ignite. A high concentration of gas could prevent a diesel from starting or running. A mix of some percentage is usually where the reported problems arise. Gas is more volatile when buring - diesel less so. The percentage of diesel fuel will ignite like it should, which then ignites the gas percentage, which burns faster and more intensely than diesel fuel.

Jim

ccatlett1984
05-20-2008, 22:18
Germany ran most of there stuff off of diesel, in fact they made the fuel from coal, just like is being discussed now. The german vehicles used a different combustion chamber shape then modern diesels. Look up "hyper-cycle" this is the same design used in the US military "multi-fuel" engines. The multi is rated to be run at up to 80% gasoline for "emergancy use", meaning yes it will get you out of the firefight, but its not good for the engine long term.

ccatlett1984
05-20-2008, 22:22
During WWll Gi's found a field of new German trucks, they were short of vehicles and wanted to use them, problem,they were diesel and US Army did not have access to Diesel fuel. In the Batallion there was an automotive engineer who solved the problem,, just add one quart of 30W oil to each gallon of gas.. wal la problem solved Army used the trucks for weeks untill Diesel was found. One day While driving my Merceded 240-D I ran low on Diesel a few years ago before Diesel was so prevelant and when on fumes i pulled into a gas station and put in 4 gal of gas and added 4 qts of oil, Mercedes ran great to my destination of over 50 miles no loss of power, no knocking,,couldnt gtell the difference,, kept car for another 100,000 miles

I would love to hear the source of this story.

rustyk
07-22-2008, 19:18
Gasoline has an octane rating, which is a measure of its ability to resist spontaneous ignition. Diesel fuel has a cetane rating, which is a measure of its ability to spontaneously ignite.
Jim

Actually, the octane rating (simplified) is the measure of the speed of the combustion. Normal heptane has an octane rating of 0; iso-octane, 100. Engine "knock" comes from a combination of too-low octane (for the compression ratio) and/or too-advanced timing. "Spontaneous ignition" is called "preignition" (one of the other two causes of "pinging", and is the result of deposits in the combustion chamber that retain enough heat to ignite the fuel-air mixture before the plug fires; it is not considered a characteristic of the fuel. The third source of "pinging", BTW, is "detonation", caused by a too-lean mixture.

Octane is measured by one-cylinder engines, which have a computer controlling parameters; the more relaxed parameters are the Research Octane number. The parameters for the Motor Octane number are more restrictive. Years ago, companies posted only the Research number (since it was higher). The Feds required the current number, which is the average of the two.

Cetane rating (simplified) is based on a mix of cetane and napthalene, and is the time delay from injection to ignition, measured from the start of each event, and like octane rating, measured on an actual, expensive, little engine.

AVM62
08-07-2008, 08:08
Are you the Pete Brenenstuhl that ran the sound & light department at the Sheridan Park Hotel In Washington DC back in the 70's? If so I worked for you then. How are you doing?