PDA

View Full Version : Head Gaskets

Grizz
05-18-2008, 17:05
Does anyone know if there have been any major problems with headgaskets on the D-Max?
We have had 4 failures in our shop all between 60,000 and 70,000 miles. Any thoughts?

NutNbutGMC
05-18-2008, 17:38
What engine or year model?

More Power
05-19-2008, 11:38
If you're talking about the LB7, there have been a small handful of headgasket leaks - which usually produce a coolant leak to the outside of the engine. With stock power, the head gaskets are ultra reliable.

What sometimes happens is a fuel injector(s) was replaced, which disturbed the injector cup seal, which then produced a cooling system overpressure or coolant consumption problem. Some of these were then misdiagnosed as a bad head gasket. So, it's important to report whether there has been a recent injector replacement.

Jim

Grizz
05-20-2008, 07:14
If you're talking about the LB7, there have been a small handful of headgasket leaks - which usually produce a coolant leak to the outside of the engine. With stock power, the head gaskets are ultra reliable.

What sometimes happens is a fuel injector(s) was replaced, which disturbed the injector cup seal, which then produced a cooling system overpressure or coolant consumption problem. Some of these were then misdiagnosed as a bad head gasket. So, it's important to report whether there has been a recent injector replacement.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I'll have the engine code identified sometime today.... I hope. it's just so strange these trucks are all in about the same mileage range. There has to be some common thread here somewhere.

Grizz

DmaxMaverick
05-20-2008, 07:49
What, exactly, has failed with the gaskets?

Like Jim said, it is just not a common issue. I suggest looking for some other common factor. You won't find a thread, here or elsewhere, with a string of "normal use" failures. It doesn't exist.