PDA

View Full Version : Weekend maint. need pointers

Shed
05-20-2008, 09:35
Hello all. Big trip planned pulling the 5th wheel, and doing some maint./upgrades.

#1 putting on larger tranny pan. Mag-Hytec. Any little problems I should know about?

#2 Switching to Amsoil ATF. Can I "flush" the system in my driveway fairly easy? If not how can I get as much of the old fluid out to put in the synthetic? should I just bite the bullet and take it to the tranny shop for the flush?

#3 Switching the rear shocks to Bilstiens. How hard is this for a non mechanic? The fronts? Should all be done at once? 92k on what appear to be stock shocks, the rears are both leaking, Fronts have no leaks.

Really appriciate the help! Shed

Hillbilly Jim
05-20-2008, 16:28
I dont know about the deep tranny but no2 and no3 are easy to do.
I would change all 4 shocks.
Do a search on changing trans fluid. It should walk you through the process. I did mine by myself in my driveway although it would have been a little easier if I had had a buddy to help.
Good luck

Shed
05-20-2008, 17:32
I did a search for the flush but did not find a definate sequence to follow on flushing. Removing lines? Starting and stopping and letting fluid through? Sounds like a job for the tranny shop? More money......:(

Anybody have a simple step by step process that this moron can follow and not screw up my beloved truck? Again thanks for any and all help!

Shed

DmaxMaverick
05-20-2008, 19:30
Do not use a tranny shop flush system. Allison specifically recommends against it, as it will cause internal damage.

The flush steps are as simple as it sounds. All you need to do is let the tranny pump the fluid out with the engine idling, while you replace it with the engine off. Once you drain the pan (will be, since you are replacing it), only fresh fluid will be pumped through it. Once you put about 14-15 qts through, replace the cooling line and top it off to the full cold level. It will have flushed better than 90% of the old ATF, and the remaining old fluid is negligible. Warm it up to operating temp, then top it off to the full hot level. Done. Replace the external spin-on filter after the job is done (no point in using a new filter on fluid you are going to replace, anyway). Don't forget the magnet!

Shed
05-20-2008, 21:10
Thanks Mav, as usual you are saving my butt! So a tranny shop is out, that's good to know! Well once again with your help (and many others) I'll figure it out! Sorry to be so specific, I'm far from a shade tree mechanic, and worry all the time I'm gonna really mess something up. Your advice has saved me, Thank you very much again!!!

Shed

jbplock
05-21-2008, 14:29
Shed,

The second post by SteveO in the following topic contains a step by step procedure that follows DM's outline. (IIRC SteveO was/is an Ally Tech)

Allison Fluid Change (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=16873%5BCOLOR=Blue)

Hook_'em_Horns!
05-24-2008, 16:31
Do not use a tranny shop flush system. Allison specifically recommends against it, as it will cause internal damage.

The flush steps are as simple as it sounds. All you need to do is let the tranny pump the fluid out with the engine idling, while you replace it with the engine off. Once you drain the pan (will be, since you are replacing it), only fresh fluid will be pumped through it. Once you put about 14-15 qts through, replace the cooling line and top it off to the full cold level. It will have flushed better than 90% of the old ATF, and the remaining old fluid is negligible. Warm it up to operating temp, then top it off to the full hot level. Done. Replace the external spin-on filter after the job is done (no point in using a new filter on fluid you are going to replace, anyway). Don't forget the magnet!
What kind of flow rate on this flush procedure can one expect? Trickle to slow or "Stand back boys!, She's gonna blow!" :D

jbplock
05-24-2008, 16:45
What kind of flow rate on this flush procedure can one expect? Trickle to slow or "Stand back boys!, She's gonna blow!" :D

Definately in the "Stand back boys" range :eek: .. It's been a few years since I flushed mine but as I recall it doesn't take much time to pump several quarts of fluid... on the order of 20-30 seconds IIRC ... :)

DmaxMaverick
05-24-2008, 16:59

I wouldn't say "stand back", but I wouldn't be to close. Most of the potential mess is the splash when the fluid hits the container (or misses it:D). It'll take about 30 seconds to pump out about 8 qts. through a 1/2-5/8"? hose. A steady stream, but certainly not a fire hose. If you use a smaller hose end, or if it's crimped, etc, it could spray across the room. It is constant displacement, afterall, under the regulated pressure.

Hook_'em_Horns!
05-24-2008, 17:32
Made the mistake of changing the engine oil once when hot, (well, I THOUGHT it had cooled somewhat!) and Whoa!, hit the drain pan and just ‘Rooster Tailed’ right out the other side. Didn’t want a repeat mess to clean up.