PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt pcms

ttpost
04-27-2004, 20:11
has anyone had any experiences with rebuilt pcms, i just talked to a top notch tranny guy, said my problems sound electrical, i have followed all my diagnostic charts and it is showing another bad pcm,i have all correct voltages and signals at the correct points,i have had one bad pcm replaced,i think i have another bad one, i callled a couple of parts shops in the area but i think they get them all from the same supplier, i need a good supplier, the parts store is replacing my computer tommorrow but with two going bad now i dont trust them, i want to order another one from someone else then make them eat this one. any suggestions, i am at my wits end right now :mad: thanks for any help...ps i keep having different problems with each computer, i am beginning to wonder if they are not just gambling that there was nothing wrong with the computers and just reselling them, since they tell me they cannot be tested.

Turbine Doc
04-28-2004, 04:56
Rob,
update your sig line so we know what your rig is set up with, PCMs don't generally "go bad" harnesses of these trucks can cause problems you are describing, I'd hand over hand the trucks wiring looking for intermittent connections and poor ground connections before condemning PCM. Once you get your replacement computer shoot some specific descriptions, also see if you can have someone pull codes Auto zone et al. will scan for free.

If another PCM is in order check with Bill Heath @ Heath Diesel for one of his updated PCMs with performance/tow program

Randee of the Redwoods
04-28-2004, 13:17
If you're comfortable with the salvage route, try car-part.com. You can get what you need for cheapo prices all over the US. These won't be rebuilt either and some places will guarentee the units worked when pulled. Worth a shot.

Turbine Doc
04-28-2004, 13:52
Rob I was going to recommend the salvage route myself but was going to wait until I knew a bit more about your truck if you are OBDII go with a 99+ PCM L65 that is what I'm currently running until my Heath Computer makes it back from reflash.

gmctd
04-28-2004, 18:06
Those 'rebuilt' PCM's seldom are.

Boneyards seldom see a vehicle without a PCM, anymore. And the cars\trucks you see are 'consumed' about every three months.
Meaning - if the yard kept all the PCM's from all the vehicles they turn over every year, you could not see the vehicles themselves, for the stacks of computers.

And, each of those computers was motivating that vehicle to point of impact.

There are several 'core' companies picking off those computers, most not even in need of cleaning, referencing the boneyard's vehicle records to the vin on the PCM via the 'hotline', tagging a 'custom' reference number, then supplying AZ, PB, Sears, etc with 'rebuilt' PCM's.

Some even paint the aluminum case black, or beige, whatever, to impart an aura of 'rebuilt'.

Customer installs the black one, noticing that his is clear aluminum, and the mystique is complete. For a price.

LKQ Best, a premium yard, gets about 125 bucks for a pull-out, guaranteeing it will function as designed, or you get another. Their records track each piece via computerized, printed and tagged vin from the truck that donated it, so you're assured that what you see is what you need.

This is required by state law, here, and most yards comply, some just not as digitally traceable as Best.

Try your local boneyard for PCM's, but it seems to me as tho something else is at fault, causing the problems with your truck.

All the OBD-1 6.5L Diesel PCM's are identical - the plug-in chip 'customizes' the computer for the truck options - manual, auto, 4L60, 4L80, 1500, 3500, EGR, no EGR, etc.

OBD-II, the 'flash' makes the match.

Phil Holmen
04-29-2004, 11:01
I have a pcm out of a wrecked 98 with a 6.5 and 4l80e that i would let go real cheap. If you are interested just drop me a line, p_holmen at hotmail dot com.

gmctd
04-29-2004, 11:32
'94 and '95 are OBD-I, '96 - up are OBD-II.

All the gadgets are there, but the circuits to the connectors are totally rearranged.

Turbine Doc
04-29-2004, 16:02
Phil,
If he doesn't contact you, Bill Heath was looking for working cores to reflash you might want to call him to see if he still needs them, maybe you can work a swap with him.

ttpost
04-29-2004, 16:18
INTERESTING I HAD A HUNCH THAT THEY WERE JUST RESENDING OUT COMPUTERS AND NOT TESTING THEM PROPERLY.I MADE EM REPLACE THIS ONE WITH AN AC DELCO UNIT. BUT IT DIDNT SEEM TO HELP. :( MY CHARTS SHOW BAD PCM AS I FOLLOWED IT BUT NOW I AM THINKING IT IS THE VSSB.FOUND CORROSION ON IT.I DONT FEEL BAD FOR THE PARTS COMPANY ABOUT MAKING THEM REPLACE A GOOD COMPUTER THOUGH, THEY COST ME A DAY AND A HALF FIGURING OUT THE FIRST ONE THEY SOLD ME WAS BAD, ALSO I HAVE ORDERED TWO K&N FILTERS FOR IT AND THEY STILL HAVENT GOT ME THE RIGHT ONE,IDIOTS.THANKS FOR ALL HELP GUYS, I POSTED ANOTHER TOPIC ON WHAT I A DOING NOW THANKS AGAIN ROB

Turbine Doc
04-29-2004, 16:27
Rob,
Which K&N you looking for I have a nearly new round style on the shelf I think,

you figure out how to update your sig to reflect your ride. It helps to know so we don't give the wrong advise, for example telling you how troubleshoot an EGR problem only to find out you have a L65 non EGR engine.