PDA

View Full Version : BIODIESEL or NOT ?$?$?$?

Sea-Air-Ahh-LBZ
05-21-2008, 17:47
I have a 2007 2500HD DURAMAX / ALLISON 4X4 EXT CAB with BANKS BIG HOSS BUNDLE I called two different dealers an asked if I could run Bio Diesel in my LBZ motor. One said NO, Another said yes; 5 % only. I called a BIODIESEL BREWER and he said sure B100. So what am I to believe? Is there any one out there who has any first hand experience with Bio-Diesel in an LBZ motor?

More Power
05-23-2008, 21:56
GM approves of using B5 commercial ASTM certified bio-diesel fuel in their Duramax diesel powered trucks. Dodge has approved of up to B20 certified bio-diesel for its 6.7L Cummins.

Higher commercial bio-diesel percentages have not been approved because of the unpredictability in bio-diesel, and the fact that bio can deteriorate over time or can be affected by storage conditions. In short, the manufacturers and fuel injection system manufacturers have too many unanswered questions, and tend to err on the conservative side when making recommendations for using bio-diesel.

Home brewed bio opens a pandora's box in variability and quality of the fuel. So much depends on the expertise of those doing the chemisty and brewing. My conversations with home brewers illustrate a wide range of fuel qualities. The good ones don't have problems, but the less diligent brewers can have serious problems.

There is risk involved. Fuel injection system replacement costs are not cheap, so it requires the brewer to be very good at what he's doing.

Jim

Dakster
05-25-2008, 16:26
Couldn't agree more MP.

Stick with the Commercial Bio - at least if you get a bad batch that causes damage you have someone to go after.

Dek Hawkins
07-08-2008, 12:27
I make my own Bio and I am very carefull about the quality. Except for once, the max mix has been no more than 50 -50 with normal diesel.

I have now got serious injector problems which I think might be due to Bio but cannot say. There could have been a point where it was too thick due to cold, and due to pressure of common rail pump, has blown some seals and caused overfuelling into sump.
If I were you guys, be carefull, your ordinary diesel is very cheap opposed to ours which is GBP6.50 (or over $13) per Gallon.THATS WHAT YOU CALL EXPENSIVE.

Dek 'H' (England)