PDA

View Full Version : Burning blends of #2 and filtered drain oil?

Mark Rinker
05-22-2008, 13:27
Shops have heated with it for years, barely filtered straight from the drain oil tank.

Last week I stopped by my local garage, to find the owner tinkering with a new system he installed to filter drain oil in three stages down to 1micron, including magnetic separation for suspended metals, then centrifuging it, which he claims removes soot and suspended ash.

He is blending it 30% with #2 diesel and running it in a Powerstroke and Duramax diesel with no issues to date. It failed in the GM 6.5L he tested - he mumbled something about an "optical sensor problem" in the IP. I didn't ask for any details...

Comments? Not very environmentally friendly, I suspect, but I'd sure rather pump and filter drain oil than dig around in waste veggie tanks. At least the stuff flows at room temperature.

More Power
05-23-2008, 22:01
It's a risk at those percentages. Oil raises the viscosity and could allow more combustion deposits to form.

If fuel gets much more expensive, there could be even more creative ways found to fuel a diesel pickup. A DB2 6.2/6.5 could be a good candidate to try it....

Jim