PDA

View Full Version : Occasional BIG SMOKE!

siggy
05-23-2008, 22:07
Okay, happened today for the second time. I was in a long line at a drive-thru, idling for 5-10 minutes. As I left, HUGE amounts of whiteish smoke, like a mosquito fogger. As I got on the highway it cleared out fairly quickly. This is the second time this has happened, the first was two weeks ago, near my house while at a long traffic signal, I was so concerned with the amount of smoke I turned around to go back home but again, it cleared out and was performing normally within a few blocks. I'm not losing coolant, only have the pesky EGR code being thrown and the truck runs just fine. Any ideas guys? I'm at 161,000 now, injectors were replaced at 105K. CA emission LB7...

Mark Rinker
05-26-2008, 17:19
Have codes pulled and see if you have anything set.

Sure sounds like an injector hanging up and dripping your exhaust system full of unburned fuel while at idle, then it blows out/burns off at first acceleration.

I recently had good luck using SeaFoam to treat a hung up injector on a 2002 LB7. Check out my thread in the 'Fluids' forum...

siggy
07-17-2008, 21:37
I tried Seafoam, no luck. My truck continued to smoke, with the earlier mentioned 'mosquite fogger' impersonation still embarassing me at all the worse times. Only throws the EGR code, as it has forever. Took it into the dealer, same service writer that I dealt with when they replaced my injectors at 115K, 18 months ago, now at 167K. Told him of the smoking and asked to have my injector rates checked with the spec II as I suspected injectors. He said his experience was that smoking was EGR related, not injectors, and that I couldn't need injectors again so soon. (he knew not of the codes thrown at that point). I explained my EGR code and CEL had been off and on forever, and that I thought it was a emissions related pain in the ass thing but not the cause of my problems. So they will check things out. Next day, get the call that my EGR certainly needs replacing along with the EGR solenoid, and also the FPR. $850 for the EGR, $1100 for the FPR. :( My injector return rates were normal, but my balance rates were all out of whack. He said he could possibly speak to the district rep about injector replacement but that I did not meet the criteria for the 200K special policy. But I would have to get the EGR and FPR work done first. Begrudginly, I OK'd the EGR stuff, hoping that this was indeed the cause of the smoking. I told him no way on the FPR, that I would do it myself on a weekend and that I could get the part for $265. 3 days later I get my truck back, smoking far more than previously. The SW now tells me, hey, your truck still smokes and we think you need injectors! If I supply them with receipts for fuel filters they will take the issue to the district rep. I do, and he gets the OK the next week. Into the shop again for 3 more days, got her back and now no more smoke. I'm glad they were able to eventually fix the problem, but I feel that the EGR$ was wasted $. On the other hand, after 167K, good chance the EGR had completed its expected service life. I wanted my 2nd set of injectors to carry me to the 195K range, and get GM to replace them right before 200K. This 3rd set will likely last longer than 30K, but we'll see. Anyway, lots of talk about injector balance rates vs injector return rates and I wanted to pass on my experience with getting replacment injectors with the balance rates and the smoking being the only issues.

Mark Rinker
07-18-2008, 05:39
Since injector failure is most often linked to fuel quality - where are you getting your fuel?

If you use the same station/tank continually, I'd sure change stations.
I'd also start a fuel treatment program with a quality, name brand additive.My 2002 LB7 got a set at 17X miles, and now at nearly 280K has a wisp of smoke at idle, but no 'mosquito fogger' problems yet. I am hoping to just run it - I'd rather repower the truck than spend 3K for a new set at this point.

siggy
07-18-2008, 15:40
The bulk of my mileage stems from 22 trips between Northern California and New Mexico, as I have been building a 2nd home out there, and the fuel is generally from mainstream truck stops along the way, Pilot/Loves/TA/FlyingJ, and with that in mind I doubt that it is related to bad fuel. Have never run additives, so I may look into that. From all the reading on the forum it seems somewhat the luck of the draw as far as lifespan of injectors. Appreciate your comments Mark.

HighMiles
11-30-2008, 07:47
My 01 has 313K and just over 150K on the second set of injectors and I am now getting the heavy smoke too. Before I take it in I am checking all other options first since this one will be on me. Mine also at times runs a little rough at an idle at times too. It seems to me that it is not consistant and could be sensor or electronic driven. The mileage and power is off only a little if at all. I have been recently add additives and little to no help. I also have had two fuel pumps any chance this is part of the problem or if injectors are replace should it be replaced too. The motor and truck is solid still so if it is the fuel system it may be worth the cost??????

High miles