PDA

View Full Version : FSD Mounting location, as pictured in the ad

Diverguy
09-02-2003, 12:38
Hi Guys;
I am going have to break down and purchase an fsd from Sask Diesel because after 124,000 km I have already cooked two pmd's including one injection pump. The question is for those of you have purchased this unit from either Kennedy or Sask Deisel, how many have left it in the pictured location in the ad and have not had any problems with cooking it? I remember there are at least five members who have had to locate it outside the engine compartment because of overheating concerns with previous units. I have not seen any posts nor can I search for any on those who have left it on the engine and have not experienced any problems.
I would like to have some input please from those who have this unit. I do not want to destroy another unit when I can purchase Kennedy's extension harness and mount it away from the immediate area of the engine. Didn't More Power mount his behind the front bumper??? I can not remember. Thanx in advance.

[ 09-03-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Diverguy ]

BETA
09-02-2003, 13:52
Hi,

Please have a look at -www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/beta.htm - it explains why FSDs have high failing rates

[ 09-02-2003, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: BETA ]

morgan
09-02-2003, 15:15
Some of our more talented bretheren have mounted the PMD/Cooler in the air intake box. Others have moved it into the passenger compartment under the dash, even inside the duct-work of the HVAC system. That's over my head, but sounds great.

ucdavis
09-02-2003, 16:26
My local Stanadyne dealer sells fsd's and will also sell a mounting plate (.25" aluminum) that is only as large as the footprint of the fsd + 1/2" along the long direction for mounting to the open bolt hole on left of intake manifold. His heat sink is the manifold itself, tho that doesn't leave much contact area for heat transfer (mostly it'll happen thru the bolt; not very good IMO). This location uses the orig. Stanadyne wiring harness, but is subject to under-hood temps of perhaps 170 degrees when standing in traffic on a hot day. I'd guess fsd could get that hot or maybe a bit more without a better heatsink.
Remote mounting on a good heatsink (like the FSD Cooler) gets FSD temp down to ~135 degrees or so most of the time, maybe a bit more on really hot days. In front of the radiator and to one side is popular, or under the dash. Mine is ahead & left of radiator (out of rad. airflow) on a 9x12x.25 aluminum plate w/heatsink paste & runs ~135 by infrared thermometer. Plate drops to 98 or so at edges on a 98 degree day.

Diverguy
09-03-2003, 11:40
Beta;
Thank you for the reminder. I did read your article when it was posted in the member's section.

jjgmc96
09-03-2003, 11:56
I had the cooler mounted to the manifold and experianced a pmd failure at about 1 1/2 yr. now it is mounted on fender with john's remote harness.

markelectric
09-03-2003, 19:18
I have a PMD on a heat sink from Bill Heath. His goes on the inside of the skid plate. I know it is not very accurate but I can easily lay my hand on it on a hot day after a hard pull. That is after I do the contortionist thing to reach it. Bill's system was a breeze to install. I am thinking of another for the other diesels.