PDA

View Full Version : Help, pillar gauge install

firediesel7
05-24-2008, 20:47
Hey everyone this is my first post and need some help. I am installing pillar gauges in my truck. I was follwing the article that is on the diesel page about the install for 01-05 trucks. I have wired everything and placed the pillar and gauges back. My problem is that the article states to use the "ILLUM" fuse for lamps and the "ING 1" fuse for powering the thermocouple sending unit. The article states these fuses are located in the drivers side dash fuse block. Well I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (LB7), crew cab, 4x4,and my fuse block does not have "ILLUM" listed on the panel diagram and no "ING1" listed. I want the lamps on the gauges to turn on and dim with the dash/instument panel and I need power for the Pyro sending unit. I would really appreciate any information / guidance anyone can give. I'm a newbie with my truck, first diesel. I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!

Thanks in advance

DmaxMaverick
05-24-2008, 22:10
Welcome aboard!

I've done a couple 2003's. I've found it easier to use the instrument panel dimmer wire from the back of the headlamp switch (easy to get to, and identify) for the gage lighting, and the power window circuit for switched power (also easy to access at the fuse panel, and the added bonus of RAP).

I don't remember the wire colors, but the dimmer circuit will be the wire that varies voltage with dimmer knob movement. The power window circuit can be traced from the harness coming in from the door. It is protected with a 25 amp circuit breaker, so it's plenty stout. It's been a while, but it wasn't difficult the first time, or the last.