PDA

View Full Version : Quadzilla (et.al)- are they worth it???

chessy56
05-27-2008, 18:54
An unfortunate set of circumstances has forced me to temporarily (couple of years) do some weekly commuting between WI and IN for my job. I've heard that this Quadzilla thing will improve my fuel mileage by some 1-3 mpg. Does this thing really work? Is there anything better out there?

My ride is an '01 Dmax with 124K miles on it. I'm currently getting 18.5 to 20 mpg crusing at a constant 1900 - 2000 on the tach (and maybe the wind on my tail). At today's diesel prices, any add'l mileage improvement will help!!! My main interest is in fuel mileage, moreso than torque.

Anyone with experience on this stuff? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!
chessy56- South Milwaukee, WI

AKMark
05-27-2008, 19:19
I'm not sure how fast you are going, but slow down to 65 (I'm assuming you are going 70+) and you will see a difference and it costs you nothing but maybe an hour of your time each way.

Most mods done to improve mileage take years to pay for themselves, if they ever pay for themselves. Slowing down, even just a little, pays off quick and doesn't cost you out of your pocket.

Kennedy
05-28-2008, 06:27
I'm not sure how fast you are going, but slow down to 65 (I'm assuming you are going 70+) and you will see a difference and it costs you nothing but maybe an hour of your time each way.

Most mods done to improve mileage take years to pay for themselves, if they ever pay for themselves. Slowing down, even just a little, pays off quick and doesn't cost you out of your pocket.

Well put

When a guy is getting 20mpg already, it's tough to justify. With most any other off the shelf tuner for the Dmax there is VERY little changed in the tuning. Many times when you hear of big gains, it's from a guy that believes the dash indicator, cannot properly calculate MPG, or goes on a trip and sees better than normal MPG (due to the trip length/conditions) and thinks he gained.

I've worked a lot on fuel economy tuning and see nice gains typically, BUT am smart enough not to make claims or promises just toi sell product.

chessy56
05-28-2008, 14:24
I typically drive at 68-69 mph (equates to 1950-2000 on the tach). If I do 70+, my mileage drops accordingly. Maybe 18.5 - 20 mpg is the best I'll see. I'd rather not dump a few hundred into an add-on just to gain an extra mile or so per gallon. Perhaps my Dmax is about maxed out on fuel economy.....

Kennedy
05-29-2008, 08:47
I doubt that you are maxed out, but the sense that I get is that you will not be satisfied with the gain vs cost/payback return. This is why I don't offer any promises when I do custom tunes. I simply state that most customers report best ever MPG results.

Simply put: "Modify for performance and if you gain economy, consider it a bonus." This way you won't be disappointed if you don't gain and will be pleasantly surpised if you do.

Mark Rinker
05-29-2008, 10:41
Agree with everything stated above, and wanted to add these to the list for mileage assistance:

Clean air filters
Synthetics in diff(s)
Free flowing exhaust

SSWEBARRICK
06-01-2008, 20:55
Mark,
Do you recommend a certain brand, viscosity/weight synthetic in diffs?
How about the exhaust system size and brand preference?
Air system intake after market brand?

Value your input and thanks.