PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Secret Energy thoughts?

BlazerTurbo
05-28-2008, 15:28
Has anyone ever used or heard of the Diesel Secret Energy fuel system that requires that no engine mods. If anyone has used this in a 6.5 diesel or has any thoughts on it in general, could you please reply back as i am seriously considering doing this to my truck. If anyone wants to look at their website, it is
www.dieselsecret.com. Thank you

JTodd
05-28-2008, 16:35
The consensus is snake oil

Here is a thread on it
http://thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27876&highlight=diesel+secret

BlazerTurbo
05-28-2008, 16:56
thank you for the quick reply. after reading the posts, i still feel unsure about this product. it seems there are advantages and disadvantages to running it. have you experimented with the diesel secret formula? is worth trying? what does the snake-oil consensus mean? are there any alternatives to this formula without doing any engine conversions or adding another fuel tank?

rustyk
05-28-2008, 20:05
More than likely, the issues will arise long-term. Xylene is a major consituent in lacquer thinner, BTW.

With the price of fuel rising, expect to see more of these wildly exagerrated claims.

When I was a fuels/lube engineer, I used to tell my customers that "Oil's cheaper than metal." Same goes for fuels. A few "happy" customers don't prove a product or process.

More Power
05-28-2008, 20:36
Waste motor oil and ATF have been used for decades as a way to extend diesel fuel. A centrifugal filter is usually the best choice for cost-effective filtering. Some mix it at 10% or more in diesel fuel.

Longterm effects might include additional combustion deposits (pistons, rings & valves). Too much oil could increase viscosity a little too much, especially in colder weather. I would not run it in a diesel equipped with a catalytic converter.

I have no personal experience with it, but have heard from others who do. Waste motor oil is likely more available than waste vegetable oil.

Jim

rustyk
05-28-2008, 21:02
Waste motor oil IS NOT something I'd want to put onto my engine - it's already loaded with contaminants I've already tried to avoid or dispose of. And many of the additives don't combust, so they end up as ring belt and valve deposits.

ATF is effective in changing the combustion parameters, thereby clearing cylinder deposits, but it's not a regimen I'd want to use constantly.

But then, my engines are my engines; someone else can do what he chooses.

arveetek
05-29-2008, 06:58
I actually saw a commercial for Diesel Secret on TV the other day. It was a pretty hoaky spot, similar to the other "as seen on TV" junk.

Casey

JeepSJ
05-29-2008, 09:46
IIRC, if you followed their instructions then you could just run the WVO without adding their product.

It is so warm here in the summer that I have been thinking about running 25-50% WVO.

JohnC
05-29-2008, 12:36
It is so warm here in the summer that I have been thinking about running 25-50% WVO.

I was in the local wholesale club the other day and noticed that cooking oil in bulk containers is about the same price as Diesel fuel...

Mark Rinker
05-29-2008, 13:37
At MRE - we have our own 'Diesel Secret' for getting best overall towing mileage, uphill, downhill, into the wind, heavily loaded, etc...

"Run the truck at peak torque (1700-1800rpm stock LB7) and accept the ground speed that you get."

:)