PDA

View Full Version : ceramic coating heads

jdmetcalf57
08-23-2004, 06:01
In the article about keeping a 6.5 cool it talks about ceramic coating the ports. I am always looking for ways to increase fuel economy as 1mpg saves about $2000 in 200k miles the way I drive my truck. Since the indirect injection causes extra heat loss and thus reduced efficiency could the indirect injection chambers be ceramic coated to increase mpg? Does anyone know anything about this?

Marty Lau
08-23-2004, 13:37
hmmm interesting concept you might see if Dr. Lee or More Power will answer.

CleviteKid
08-24-2004, 13:09
The precombustion chambers in our engines are in two pieces - the upper half is in the cylinder head casting, and the lower half is the press-in precup that we see on the firing deck. It would be a real trick to coat the part of the head that sees the air and fuel, without messing up the part that the precup presses into.

But if it could be done, it would work like a champ and improve cold weather starting as well. Which vendor likes a challenge ? ? ?

Dr. Lee :cool:

Cowracer
08-25-2004, 05:00
Hey doc!

Could a person make a slug of the right dimensions to fit the pre-cup bore? That way, the important part could be ceramic coated, and then the plug removed, leaving a pristine bore for the precup.

Just a thought...

Tim