PDA

View Full Version : Lemon????

dallasc
05-31-2008, 06:45
I own a 98 K1500 4x4 with the 6.5t. For the first year and a half this truck ran great. Out of nowhere I lost the timing chain, during the process of pulling the chain off I also noticed my front berring on the crank not quite sitting right. I was able to pull the front berring out without dropping the pan. So I dropped the pan and installed new berrings on the entire bottom end. Since I was in there I installed the gridle to hold it all tight. I also decided to switch from the chain timing to gear timing. Got it all put together drove it for a day and I noticed a whole in the front of my passanger valve cover. So I pulled the valve cover and the rocker shaft was broke allowing the rocker to slide against the cover. So I checked the drivers side and sure enough both of those shafts were cracked as well. I replaced all 4 rocker shafts rockers and lifters. Put it all back together and was running great. Then I had glow plug issues I fixed that. (Thanks Kennedy) Yesterday alternator locked up.

So my question is should I sell this truck before somthing else breaks or is the worst behind me. I love this truck I just can't keep pumping all this money into this truck. I have also installed a heath computer. 4 inch exhaust all the way out. Heath boost controller, boost pyro guages, tranny cooler, and I have a snow performance ethanol injection system that I have yet to put on.

What do you guys think???

Mark Rinker
05-31-2008, 07:08
Time to upgrade to a used Duramax, 2002-2004 LB7. Great mileage, great dependability, injector warranty to 200K. Prices are good, its a buyers market now with fuel prices going through the roof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Silverado-2500-DIESEL-TRUCK-2003-4X4-LT-DURAMAX-DIESEL-LEATHER-1-OWNER-LOADED-SHARP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90969QQihZ008QQit emZ180246344575QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you use/need a diesel, then the Duramax is now the way to go.

My .02/worth.

simon
05-31-2008, 07:31
How many miles on the truck? after time things wear out. if not maintained properly things can and do pile up. be prepared to spend some money now and then.
maby a piece of main bearing got between the t chain and snapped it? couse they seldom break, just get sloppy.
what was the reason for that brg to spin? lack of oil? what is the oil pressure?
If you can keep that first main brg in you will be very lucky as a spun brg often takes enough mat from the bore to lose the clamping tolerance.
how was the crank journal? still smooth, and within specs?

selling an otherwise good truck, and buying an other used one is often not the answer, as the next one will have isues too every now and then.

trowing all that money for high performance at that engine is counter productive if the engine is worn out. it needs to be in good condition to start with.

my 2 c worth.

simon
05-31-2008, 07:38
Time to upgrade to a used Duramax, 2002-2004 LB7. Great mileage, great dependability, injector warranty to 200K. Prices are good, its a buyers market now with fuel prices going through the roof.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Silverado-2500-DIESEL-TRUCK-2003-4X4-LT-DURAMAX-DIESEL-LEATHER-1-OWNER-LOADED-SHARP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ90969QQihZ008QQit emZ180246344575QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you use/need a diesel, then the Duramax is now the way to go.

My .02/worth. what is this duramax BS ? i thought this was THE 6.5 forum.
don't scare people away now.

dallasc
05-31-2008, 07:51
The truck only has 95000 miles on it, thats what bugs me. The oil pressure is good stays around 40psi most of the time. Cylinder walls looked good when the pan was off. Another thing I did not mention is that when I went to pull the pan off there was no gasket just silicone everywhere. This make me think the previous owner was aware of some problem and just slapped the thing back together to sell. With the problems that I'v had I have sometimes wondered if somone tampered with the odometer?!?

I run synthetic motor oil and tranny fluid. I just worry that the tranny will go or the fuel pump???

The alternator is not to big of a deal I understand things where out relibility is a big factor and that seems to be dropping with this truck everyday.

arveetek
05-31-2008, 09:31
Another thing I did not mention is that when I went to pull the pan off there was no gasket just silicone everywhere. This make me think the previous owner was aware of some problem and just slapped the thing back together to sell. With the problems that I'v had I have sometimes wondered if somone tampered with the odometer?!?

GM didn't use gaskets on the valve covers or oil pan from the factory.

You can run a CARFAX report to check mileage. When I bought my '95, I found out (before laying down the money) that the odometer had been rolled back from around 170K to 105K.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2008, 09:57
Definitely a series of unfortunate events. Any one of those failures (except for the bearing and chain, which are likely related) can and do happen to many truck owners, not just 6.5L's. Usually, not under the same hood in a short period, though. If your block wasn't cracked, you've brought it a long way to being reliable. The actual miles are unimportant at this point. The PO may have swapped out the instrument panel, but it's moot at this point. If it runs well now and everything's on the mark, you may never get another hic-up out of it. Sounds to me like you have matters well in hand. Unless you got that truck for a steal, it isn't likely you'll recover your losses. This is a buyer's market for trucks, as Mark said. Moving up to a Duramax truck may or may not be an improvement. It depends on your needs and finances. The Duramax trucks, as with any vehicle, have their issues as well.

As far as the tranny and fuel pumps go (or any part on the truck, for that matter), it's anybody's guess. They fail. Stay on top of your maintenance to minimize the chances, but you won't eliminate the possibility. If they do fail soon, I wouldn't suggest you waste money on lottery tickets or gambling. Your luck, in this case, sounds like mine. I don't get breaks, so I have to be good at what I do. Murphy is my shadow.