PDA

View Full Version : #1 PMD resistor value by default?

MarkMorissette
05-31-2008, 07:34
Ok, in the hunt for a solution to my emissions problems I was on the hunt for a #1 resistor to install in my (remote) PMD to reduce fueling.

I was just checking on the SSDiesel Supply website (where my remote PMD & Cooler came from) and it states the following:

#Q: Do I have to use a calibration resistor in my 6.5?

# A: If you have a 94+ 6.5 with electronic fuel injection, you must use a resistor. Stock is a #5 plus/minus one. With no resistor in place, the computer will default to a #1 setting to keep running, but performance and mileage will suffer.

Ok, so assuming I want a #1 resistor for my emissions problems, it sounds like I can just completely remove the current resistor and it will *default* to a #1 without the cost of actually buying a #1 resistor?

Also, I don't have access to a Tech1 to force the relearn, nor do I really want to do 50 keystarts to prompt it.... I heard that disconnecting the batteries for an hour will also cause the relearn - anything to that, or is it a hit & miss affair that way? Is there any way to tell if it's been accomplished after the fact?

Thanks again everyone.

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2008, 10:19
Removing the resistor will default the value to #1, after a learn attempt. The battery disconnect works on most OBD I trucks, but I'm not sure on the OBD II's. Once the PCM loses the value, it will attempt a relearn at every start until the resistor value meets expectations. If you do this, the SES will be on until corrected. This may be an issue for your inspector. In CA, the presence of the SES is an automatic fail. Installing a #1 resistor will eliminate the SES lamp. You can also jumper a resistor in the harness.

That said, I don't think this will help you get your opacity down by the 20% you need (you did say yours is at about 50%, and you need to get it to below 30%). The calibration spread with a resistor change is very little, in any case. It may help if you need 2 or 3%, but not the 20% you require. It may help, but won't in itself, get you where you need to be.