PDA

View Full Version : Towing without gauges

DieselDavey
05-31-2008, 09:45
Well...

I have a short trip to Canada coming up... We're pulling our camper to the Pinery Park.

I have a '99 Suburban 6.5, it is badged as a 1500 but has the 8 lug wheels... I think its the same as a 2500, but the rear end suspension different (Semi floating verses full floating rear).

The original window sticker states "4 Speed Automatic Heavy Duty Transmission". 3.42 rear axle ratio. Heavy Duty Trailering Equipment. Heavy Duty Auxiliary Transmission Cooling System. 8,050 GVW Rating.

My camper weight is 8,500.

It has a newer PMD and fuel injection pump (around 20,000 miles).

165,000 on the odometer.

Runs perfectly.

I was hoping to have the money for upgrades such as exhaust/ gauges before my trip. I also wanted to get a spare PMD.

My hours got cut at work, trip has been paid and planed for months ago...

I really want to use this vehicle to pull the camper from Michigan to Canada. Fairly flat drive around 400 mile round trip.

After studying this board I'm scared to death of using it without gauges... and a spare PMD.

I'm hoping someone could tell me that if I nurse it along, keep the speed around 60-65, and keep an eye on the coolant temp, it would be OK for this trip.

Otherwise its the 5 MPG Ford F150... I'd rather pay for the gas that burn up the Burban. You'd think the Suburban would be a bit more durable.

What do ya think?

Thanks,

Dave

DmaxMaverick
05-31-2008, 10:43
If the engine is in stock trim and everything is working well, you'll be fine. Like you said, just watch the coolant temp. Take it easy and enjoy the trip. A spare PMD is never a bad idea. I highly recommend it. If you're lucky, it'll be money wasted (like life insurance).

DieselDavey
05-31-2008, 10:49
Thanks for taking time to reply DMax!

Happy Saturday!

You just made mine a lot better!

Dave

winemaker
05-31-2008, 10:49
I ran my truck for the first 2 years without gauges, usually loaded down heavy, and running 1000km round trip on mountain highways, several times per summer. Simply don't try to make the team and you'll likely be fine. Of course, no guarantees, but watch your temp and ease off if it's getting hot. It's a lot quicker to limp up a grade than to wait for a tow truck.

As for the PMD, that's a crap shoot. My buddy used to carry a bag of ice in his cooler. He had a failure, pulled over and planted the ice on top of the ip for 10 minutes, then went on his way. Again, a crap shoot, but better than nothing.

Good luck and have fun. Brett

DieselDavey
05-31-2008, 10:53
Thanks to you too Brett!

I thought these vehicles in stock configuration should be able to handle a bit of a tow...

Dave

JohnC
05-31-2008, 12:18
Just go easy on it. 3.42 is probably a little long for towing 8500 lbs. I used to tow about 5000 with 3.42 gears and a 5 speed, but it would have been better with 3.73. The auto trans helps a bit and you'll do great unloaded.

MarkMorissette
05-31-2008, 18:52
I wouldn't think I'd be too worried since between Michigan and Pinery the biggest hill you'll encounter will be the bridge. :-)

The 3.42's are going to really kill your towing ability with this truck though, as was mentioned. I've got 4.10's in my 97 crewcab dually longbox and tow a 11,000# fiver, and even in that config it will kick out of 4th on some hills. With 3.42's pulling 8000# I think you'll find yourself in third regularly.

As for the whole gauge situation, I only have a boost gauge myself. I'm adding a Pyro since we're heading west into several mountainous areas this summer. However, that said, the previous owner of my truck towed a 12000# fiver 15,000 miles (including several passes through the rockies) with nothing more then the Boost gauge he put on it and he had zero problems.

In stock configuration based on my observations (and someone point it out to me if I'm wrong) so long as you don't hold it to the mat up mountain grades and use the engine temp as an indicator of when to back out of it, in it's bone stock config (as mine virtually is) the 6.5TD shouldn't have many issues.

sturgeon-phish
05-31-2008, 19:13
I too went for three years without gauges, and I just watched the water temp. If it got over 205 I started slowing down.
Your gearing is going to have your transmission shifting a lot. Do you run synthitic fluid? It can take the higher temps better than dino trans fluid.
You should not have any problem as long as you don't try to set any land speed records. Take your time run at the speed limit or lower as needed, and you may get lucky enough not to need to run the AC. That adds a lot of heat to the motor and transmission. Trim weight if possible. You would be surprized how much stuff we have stowed in our campers that we don't use.
Jim

AKMark
06-01-2008, 07:35
For that weight, you may want to lock it into 3rd and leave it there.

I did when I towed that much with my 3.42 geared 1500 as well. I didn't like the regular gear changes it was having to make, and in the end it was using less throttle to keep it going.

DieselDavey
06-01-2008, 19:15
Appreciate the replies!

If I change the rear end to a lower gearing, what does that do to the front transaxle for the 4 wheel drive? Do you need to change the gearing up front as well?

I have the 4 speed automatic. I have been towing in "3", is it OK to tow in "D"?

Dave

AKMark
06-02-2008, 05:16
If you change the rear end ratio, you have to change the front as well. For us it would be cheaper to find a 3.73 or 4.10 geared 14FF rear in the yards and a similar geared front axle in the same place than to buy gears and have them installed.

The owners manual says you can tow in OD, but with the 3.42 ratio, yeah it's not the greatest. With gauges it would be safer to do so than without. If you had 4.10's you could probably tow in OD without a problem, but when you are unloaded, you would be overgeared.

winemaker
06-02-2008, 09:43
I've got 3.73s and I previously drove my buddy's 4.10s. For me, I prefer the 3.73s because I tend to cruise on flats somewhere over 120km/h and the 4.10 was a little revvy for that.

MarkMorissette
06-02-2008, 18:06
I've got 3.73s and I previously drove my buddy's 4.10s. For me, I prefer the 3.73s because I tend to cruise on flats somewhere over 120km/h and the 4.10 was a little revvy for that.

4.10's are revvy for 100KPH, nevermind 120. ;-)

But, they sure are nice when it comes to trailer pulling.