PDA

View Full Version : Ft. LBS vs. Inch LBS?

Shed
06-01-2008, 06:50
I am supposed to torque the drain plug on the new tranny pan to 30 inch pounds. Do I need an "inch lbs" wrench or is there a safe conversion to my current foot pounds wrench? Sorry about the dumb question, I am definately not a mechanic or very mechanical! Thanks for the help?

AKMark
06-01-2008, 07:29
Well that's about 2.5 ft lbs. Most ft lb torque wrenches won't work at that low of a setting.

If you want to do it right, go buy a in lb torque wrench. Or just give it a good elbow torque (best guess) and call it good.

NutNbutGMC
06-01-2008, 08:27
I am supposed to torque the drain plug on the new tranny pan to 30 inch pounds. Do I need an "inch lbs" wrench or is there a safe conversion to my current foot pounds wrench? Sorry about the dumb question, I am definately not a mechanic or very mechanical! Thanks for the help?Probably better known and trusted as a good snug tight.

Shed
06-01-2008, 09:04
Thanks guys, I figured it would be something goofy like that! Appriciate all the help and guidance! Shed

JeepSJ
06-01-2008, 19:50
For future reference, 12in/lbs = 1ft/lb.

ftlbs x 12 = inlbs
inlbs/12 = ftlbs

ronniejoe
06-02-2008, 06:19
For future reference, 12in/lbs = 1ft/lb.

ftlbs x 12 = inlbs
inlbs/12 = ftlbs

To be technically accurate, the units are not "in/lbs" or "ft/lb". This would be "inches per pound" or "feet per pound" and is not what we're talking about.

The units are "in-lb" or "ft-lb" which are read "inch pounds" or "foot pounds" (most engineers prefer to say "lb-in" or "lb-ft", since we are providing units of force times distance).