PDA

View Full Version : Front rotor replacement

Shikaroka
06-01-2008, 18:24
Any tips on changing the front rotors on a 3/4 ton (8600 GVW)?
I got the rotors and hubs off, that wasn't too easy.
Any easy way to seperate the rotor from the hub?
Do the wheel studs press into the rotor and/or hub? Will I need to pull out the studs to change the rotors?

Any advice or tips would greatly be appreciated. (just trying to save some time and headaches) Thanks!

HH
06-01-2008, 19:05
The last time I changed rotors, I just hammered out the studs and then used an old lug nut to pull them back in. Not hard, just be careful to not hurt the threads on the studs, you can put an old lug nut on it to help protect the threads. Does not take much to knock them out.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-01-2008, 23:33
Best if you can press them out. Cracked the rotor trying to "tap" them out.

ronniejoe
06-02-2008, 06:12
Best if you can press them out. Cracked the rotor trying to "tap" them out.

How big of a sledge hammer were you "tapping" with?

I use a large drift punch to and light hammer to knock out the bolts (studs). The drift ensures that no damage is done to the threads. Be careful to align the serrations on the bolts with those in the rotor. They strip easily.

Shikaroka
06-02-2008, 08:01
Thanks guys!
I just wasn't sure if I needed to remove the studs and didn't want to waste my time if I didn't.
I have new rotors to go on, so I don't much care about the old ones.
I have access to a press, so I'll probably do that today.

Subzilla
06-02-2008, 10:18
Just did the '86 yesterday. I put an old lugnut right on the end of the stud but left it slightly above the top of the stud so the hammer didn't hit the end of the stud. Hit on it a dozen times with a standard claw hammer and they all popped right out.

I really could use a shop press!

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-02-2008, 15:40
Not knowing any better at the time and after spending a frustrating few hours trying to figure out why it didn't want to come out like most rotors, it was a full sized sledge. lesson was learned for next time!:D