PDA

View Full Version : Engine swapQuestion?

tankertoad
06-02-2008, 14:18
Replacing 6.5TD in '97 4WD dually with 6.5TD from'94 Burb. Oil cooler line fittings into block are much larger diameter on '97 than '94. Adapters available? Lines on '97 are much larger also. TIA, Have gained much knowledge already from the board as I'm a newbie to diesels. I also have an X-Greyhound with 8V-71 Detroit Diesel and now can't wait to get started on that project. John.

diesel65
06-02-2008, 14:32
GM does not offer an adapter to put an early engine {small port) into a late chassis, they do have an adapter to go from a large port engine to the early chassis with the small lines.
The adapters comes with the GM replacement engine.

Your best bet is either swap all the oil cooler parts from the 94' onto the 97' or go with the vendors aftermarket replacement cooler lines.

trbankii
06-02-2008, 15:15
So the hole in the block is larger on the later units? I had noticed that some of the aftermarket replacement lines say they are for '95.5 and after models while others say they are for all 6.5 engines. Is this why?

EWC
06-02-2008, 15:55
That's something to watch out for . Tried to do an engine in a 97 with the 599 block . The original was the 506 block . Called the rebuilder and of course he said they would swap . After moving old parts I came across the oil fittings . The 599 has standoffs or bosses for the oil line fittings that are too long and would position the lines almost against the left exhaust manifold . The lines could not be installed with the manifold on . So that one went back and a 506 was installed . Blocks are not the same , check before you do any work !

rhsub
06-02-2008, 21:50
The 97 block has oil squirters aimed at the piston pins, this required more flow, hence the larger cooler lines and I think I read in an article here that it also has a higher flow oil pump.
I purchased a oil line an cooler kit from DSG several years ago and it has fittings for both sizes in it but these won't fit factory lines and the good thing I have had noooo cooler line leaks since yeaaa
I don't imagine GM makes a adapter fitting so you are probably going to have to replace the lines anyway and I would highly recommend the cooler I bought
Good luck
Ron

97-6.5TD-F
06-04-2008, 22:07
http://www.dieselservices.com/html/gm_diesel/6_5_Turbo_Diesel/gm-diesel-special/dsg_heavy_duty_oil_cooler__line_kit_p132.cfm

I second the DSG cooler and stainless hoses, AWESOME!! As mentioned fits both style blocks, and deletes those stupid factory rubber things! A bit pricey but how much would be spent on stock style lines when this dsg setup should last forever?