PDA

View Full Version : Dual Thermostat housing question (yes I've used the search function)

JFerg65
06-04-2008, 17:58
Just a quick question: I have a 1996 2500 suburban. I am the second owner. Fire department owned previously. It had the pmd relocated to the drivers fender. I don't tow anything heavy. It runs real cool and has never been above 205 since I've had it.

It has the HO water pump on it and the cross over part number 12553405.

Does this mean that it is the dual therm set up? It looks correct and from doing the search it looks like the upgrade includes this part as well as another, but I can't see the part number the second part.

Just need to know one way or the other if I have the complete duel set up or not.

Thanks

rustyk
06-04-2008, 21:26
Take a look at the thermostat housing - you can tell right away if there's one or two in there..

97-6.5TD-F
06-04-2008, 22:00
2 bolts for single themo, 4 for duals.

JFerg65
06-05-2008, 03:23
Thanks. I'll check before work.

JFerg65
06-05-2008, 03:40
OK, I've got four bolts on the housing. It appears as though the mechanics who serviced this truck for so many years must have done their homework. I've had the rig for coming up on a year now. The only thing I don't know now is what thermostats are currently in it. Thats easy enough to take a peek at.

So now it's on to the fan upgrade. I'm most likely going to pick up the K fan clutch and fan. I really like the idea of the Duramax composite fan versus the steel one. I know I have to trim the shroud, but aside from that does anybody know why K recommends the steel over the composite? I figured spinning the lighter composite fan versus the steel one has got to be beneficial from a weight standpoint... Any thoughts

Thanks again for the help.

diesel65
06-05-2008, 09:21
96' was transition year, The late models came with the dual thermostat and the canister shape air filter.
So your rig could have come from the factory with the dual thermostats.

More Power
06-05-2008, 10:46
OK, I've got four bolts on the housing. It appears as though the mechanics who serviced this truck for so many years must have done their homework. I've had the rig for coming up on a year now. The only thing I don't know now is what thermostats are currently in it. Thats easy enough to take a peek at.

So now it's on to the fan upgrade. I'm most likely going to pick up the K fan clutch and fan. I really like the idea of the Duramax composite fan versus the steel one. I know I have to trim the shroud, but aside from that does anybody know why K recommends the steel over the composite? I figured spinning the lighter composite fan versus the steel one has got to be beneficial from a weight standpoint... Any thoughts

Thanks again for the help.

You may not have to trim the shroud when installing the 21" Dmax fan - most don't. The JK fan-clutch provided routine service for more than 200K miles when driving a 21" composite fan in our 6.5 Project truck. ;)

Jim

JFerg65
06-05-2008, 14:55
I read that in the diesel repair manual. I'm most likely going that route. I just need to re-do the front breaks, purchase a spare pmd, and then it's on to the fan upgrade.

Thanks for the help / verification!