PDA

View Full Version : Code readers (scanner)

Crooked Hole
06-05-2008, 03:29
Check engine light came on the other day and tried to read codes with the scanner that I used on my 6.5 but doesn't seem to work on the duramax.
Truck is 2007 LBZ. Just wondering what evryone else is using? Thanks

Duraswede
06-05-2008, 10:55
i have a question about this too if it's OK that i borrow your thread...
i'm wondering if a Power programmer has the same capability of reading codes as a scan tool?
i'm about to buy some kind of OBD2-thing that will read all DTC's (not just half of them) and i would also like to have the possibility to program my computer for larger tyres, harder shifts, and maby a little more power.
is there any programmer that can do all this? i have heard that power programmers cannot read all DTC's, and Scan-tools cannot adjust any settings like a power programmer can...:confused:

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2008, 13:50
I use/recommend a Predator programmer. It will read (and clear) all P/B/U codes, but will only display a P0700 code for TCM codes. It will also program for tire size, axle ratio, and adjust the speed limiter. It has an added bonus of displaying a huge list of real time data. A large display and layman terms (plain english, so to speak) make it user friendly. Of all the programmers I've used and helped friends use, it is the fastest, too. Less than 1/3 the time to upload.

Crooked Hole
06-05-2008, 15:40
Thanks DMax. Will check them out.

Duraswede
06-05-2008, 16:05
Thanks!
but what is a TCM code, is it a short for transmission control module?

i found this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DBL%2DU7180&view=1&N=700+150+319452+4294908171+4294924641+4294907402+ 4294840135+4294906186+4294907043+
is it the type you mention? according to summit's description it seems to be the right one for my vehicle and it seem to have the functions i prefer, excluding the possibility to read TCM codes..

recently i bought a Hypertech 32003 programmer but now when i opened the box i found out that it only fits 2006-2008 so i ordered the wrong one, and it has gone more than 30 days so Summit won't take it back, so i'll sell it here in Sweden and buy this predator instead..

Crooked Hole
06-05-2008, 19:53
What changed in 2006? I had another fellow tell me that the OBD2 requirements were changed in 2006 and that scanners built before 2006 will not work on the newer vehicles which seems to be why mine won't work on my 2007

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2008, 00:01
Thanks!
but what is a TCM code, is it a short for transmission control module?

i found this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DBL%2DU7180&view=1&N=700+150+319452+4294908171+4294924641+4294907402+ 4294840135+4294906186+4294907043+
is it the type you mention? according to summit's description it seems to be the right one for my vehicle and it seem to have the functions i prefer, excluding the possibility to read TCM codes..

recently i bought a Hypertech 32003 programmer but now when i opened the box i found out that it only fits 2006-2008 so i ordered the wrong one, and it has gone more than 30 days so Summit won't take it back, so i'll sell it here in Sweden and buy this predator instead..

Yes, and yes. TCM and the correct programmer.

Too bad about the Hypertech. They're not too bad. Several of TDP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) also sell the Predator. The price should be the same. Don't know if you can get it shipped, though.

Duraswede
06-06-2008, 04:23
Yes, and yes. TCM and the correct programmer.

Too bad about the Hypertech. They're not too bad. Several of TDP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm) also sell the Predator. The price should be the same. Don't know if you can get it shipped, though.

ok, i found it on Xtremediesel.com too, i also found a gauge set for the a-pillar that would be nice to have, i'll ask them if they ship overseas.

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2008, 08:26
There's nothing wrong with Summit. I buy from them, time to time. I just like to throw our dogs a bone when I can. Without them, TDP Forums wouldn't be what it is. They are competitive, and the service level can't be beat (or they wouldn't be here). Check out them all. I don't know which will ship overseas, but it should be easy enough to find out. You may consider posting a query in the Advertiser's Forum (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=26). Please let us know what you find, as many other oversea members will benefit from your experience.

Gages are a very good idea. Many of our supporters sell them, as well.

Duraswede
06-06-2008, 17:05
well, the reason why i linked to summit is that i use to buy from them and have done it for some years now, and i have theirs catalogs in front of me. but i understand that TDP adveritisers are an important fact to keep this site as good and informative as it is, so in the future i'll begin to look around here if i find the parts that i need, i have already bought a filter kit from kennedy because i read an article about it's cleaning capacity here, and considered it to be worth the cost..

DmaxMaverick
06-06-2008, 20:30
Kennedy sells the Predator. Same price as Summit. If he has shipped to you before, you can't go wrong with him.

Duraswede
06-07-2008, 00:20
Kennedy sells the Predator. Same price as Summit. If he has shipped to you before, you can't go wrong with him.
oh now i was really dumb.. why didn't i check it out when i ordered the filter just a week ago:( i'll see if he has a gauge set too, then i'll order it from him, it was no problem to order last time:)

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2008, 00:54
He has gages. Lots of gages. I buy mine and others from John. I installed my boost/pyro in a billet aluminum mount (also a Kennedy item) in the overhead console. A little more difficult to wire/plumb, but a very nice finish. I've done several others for friends and they love them. I don't have a pic of it, but can post one if you wish. John has some pics on his website on the product page.

Duraswede
06-17-2008, 13:57
He has gages. Lots of gages. I buy mine and others from John. I installed my boost/pyro in a billet aluminum mount (also a Kennedy item) in the overhead console. A little more difficult to wire/plumb, but a very nice finish. I've done several others for friends and they love them. I don't have a pic of it, but can post one if you wish. John has some pics on his website on the product page.
just to mention, i am more than satisfied with kennedys mega filter! it is HUGE!
And now i ordered some more stuff!

Item Name: Allison Transmission Emblem
Quantity: 1

Item Name: Husky Liners 99-2007 Classic full size GM front set

Item Name: Duramax paper air filter - Rectangle
Quantity: 3

Item Name: Engine Oil filter - Baldwin #B1441 Case of 12ea

Item Name: Duramax Pre Turbo 2 gauge package with full pillar mount

Item Name: Diablo Predator Programmer for Duramax LB7

Fire Escape
08-28-2008, 08:32
What changed in 2006? I had another fellow tell me that the OBD2 requirements were changed in 2006 and that scanners built before 2006 will not work on the newer vehicles which seems to be why mine won't work on my 2007

This may be exactly the question that brought me here. After a couple hours searching (I really did try that first!) this seems to be what I need to know.

My 07 Classic LBZ came up with a check engine light, gauges, fluids, belt and wires all appeared normal. My neighbor brought the "handheld" scanner from the shop he works in but it wouldn't "connect" with my truck. While "poking around" he asked about the air cleaner, I'd never looked at it (40,000 miles) because the "filter minder" hadn't moved, long story short it did look dirty, while waiting for the replacement to arrive I started the engine and the CEL cleared imeadiately. New filter in, another 1,000 miles of driving and the CEL reappears. This time I went to the shop but that OBD II scanner wouldn't read the truck either. I was figuring that something was wrong with the truck computer and that I would HAVE to go back to the dealer and get the truck fixed (it runs fine, milage unchanged, etc.) so that it could be scanned and find out about the CEL.

Finding the question about scanning an 07 makes me think that I just need to locate a newer scanner. Anyone know if that is the case? Thanks.

Bruce