PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank

eazly
12-02-2003, 12:10
I have installed my rebuilt engine into my 1993 dually. The truck has been sitting for about 10 months. I was wondering about the old fuel that has been sitting in the tank? I'm pretty sure it has a few gallons in it. I spent a lot of money rebuilding the injection pump and injectors. In trying to protect my investment, what do recommend that I do? Should I flush it out? If so, how? Should I just fill the tank with fresh diesel and additive? If so, which kind? Thanks for you help.

James Schaack
12-02-2003, 16:29
eazly,

after reading several people's posts on fuel, i've come to find diesel doesn't keep well for more than 6-8 months (i think) smile.gif . Either way, as long as you've spent all this money on a good rebuild, you may as well start w/ fresh fuel. I'm not sure of any easy way to drain the exsisting fuel other than maybe siphoning it. i'm sure some of the other experts on TDP will have some additional advice tongue.gif

Good luck,

james

tom.mcinerney
12-02-2003, 18:04
You might get by with 'fill up, but.....Sitting so long will have allowed condensation from atmosphere to collect at bottom. Might try pump/siphon out the contents, from LOWEST point, WITHOUT pickup screen. Then add few gallons fresh fuel, maybe with good additive. Then burn old stuff in furnace. The dealer's sometimes require the tank to be pulled and steam-cleaned if contamination suspected. If you're ambitious you could pull tank, remove pickup assembly(the fuel level sender was tired on mine at 175K) and clean/inspect; maybe blow out lines to clear sludge...

britannic
12-02-2003, 18:08
I'm not sure of the later model years, but my 1985 has a water drain on the frame crossmember under the back of the cab, which can be used to drain down the whole tank. Otherwise, you could open the water drain on the filter and direct it into a suitable container. To power the lift pump without the engine running, pull out the lift pump relay fuse from its holder on the firewall and touch it to the positive 12v distribution stud nearby, to pump the old fuel out.

eazly
12-03-2003, 08:43
Hey thanks guys. These are all good suggestion. I check to see if there is a drain plug if not I will drop the tank. It sounds like a good time to put in a fresh sending unit/strainer. My truck had 315K before the rebuild. THANKS AGAIN