PDA

View Full Version : More conversion questions...

btmurph
06-07-2008, 18:04
OK, everytime I do something some problem crops up! This time:

I'm using my old bellhousing out of my '70 p/u and it used the old style 3-bolt starter that mounts to the bellhousing. The new starter of course is the newer 2-bolt style that mounts to the engine block on the 6.2/6.5. The nose of the new starter doesn't fit in the hole for the old starter, the hole is about .300" smaller in diameter than the large diameter of the new starter nose. The question is: Can I just open up the starter pocket on the bellhousing with a grinder or does the new starter require support from the bellhousing as well as the bolts and the stud off the back of the starter? If I absolutely have to I can "borrow" a milling machine to accurately machine the starter pocket but that would be a MAJOR PITA!

Thanks ahead for input, everyone will see new pics soon on my conversion thread.

JeepSJ
06-08-2008, 10:20
I ran into a similar situation with mine. I just enlarged the hole in the bellhousing. The starter is supported by the two mounting bolts AND the mount on the front (make sure you get that bracket!).

FEF
06-08-2008, 10:56
I'm not sure if the starter needs to be indexed from the nose. I know that I've been able to get good results with the mounts on the block and hte rear bracket.

I've found a number of open nose starters. I haven't tried them yet, but they're out there. The one I just bought is about $340 with shipping.

I have to say, I'd be tempetd to shave some metal off too, if it's just a small clearance issue.

btmurph
06-08-2008, 13:25
Thanks! Going up to grind now.