PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Switch

robert43
01-17-2004, 17:48
Hi All;
I would like to replace my OPS but can't find the right tool. I believe I need an extra deep 1 1/16th socket. If anyone has experience at changing the OPS and where I can get the right tool, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
thanks in advance
Robert43
95 GMC 4X4 230K miles
no frills, like out of the box

Barry Nave
01-17-2004, 18:04
NAPA also sells the OP
They also have the right socket

HowieE
01-18-2004, 13:48
Why do you want to change the oil pressure switch? It either works or it doesn't work.
If it has failed and you do replace it consider doing the oil switch mode and put a relay in ther tho take the load off the weak contacts GM used to sell oil switches.

bigcontender
01-18-2004, 14:32
I bought a oil press sw socket from Advanced Auto, couldn't use it intake manifold in the way. I then cut a 1 1/8 box wrench down to 3" long didn't work eithor. I ended up using a plumbing tool called a basin wrench - tee handle tool with a spring loaded jaw like a pipe wrench. I hear that the interferance changes from year to year. My truck is a late 96.

James Schaack
01-18-2004, 14:38
robert,

you should be able to find the OPS socket at most auto parts stores. i bought mine at the local O'reily's auto parts for around $8. i'd just call around to some parts stores and ask if they have an oil pressure switch socket for your model of truck. also, i believe the socket is pretty universal, for example, when i bought mine i believe the package said "for most chevy engines." while at the parts store i took the new OPS and made sure it fit before i purchased the socket. hope this information helps.

james

robert43
01-18-2004, 16:47
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the inputs. I believe the OPS needs replacing. I read about 4 volts to the Lift pump when running but 12 volts plus via the relay when starting.
I had tried 3 different parts places with no luck but followed the suggestion to try NAPA and got what I needed. I eyeballed the OPS location and I think I have enough room to get it out. As I read in another post, a little offering to the blood god and all should be well.
thanks to all again
robert43

HowieE
01-19-2004, 13:39
Take a voltage reading on the gray wire coming off the oil switch while the ruck is running to make sure it is the switch that you are losing the voltage across and not the wireing between the switch and the pump. Most likely it is the switch because the ignition voltage supply is spliced in very close to the output of the oil switch but just to be sure before buying and replacing the switch.

jonflies
01-21-2004, 18:23
Just replaced mine tonight. First remove the two bolts holding the fuel filter housing in place. That will allow more access to the switch.

Had to buy a cheap 1 1/16 inch wrench, heated it with a torch and bent the open end at 90-degree angle, cut off part that wouldn't let the wrench get close to the valley, and used a socket extension, through the box end for torque.

If my truck was a gasser I would say it has a miss. Changed the switch just to be safe.