PDA

View Full Version : Metal to Metal Grinding Noise

Jochen Woern
06-11-2008, 20:37
Driving to work this morning at 7:00 AM, truck ran fine with no issues. I park the truck for 9 hours and on the way out of the parking lot at work, I notice a weird sound.

I paid close attention and it is like a metal to metal grinding noise coming from the front left (drivers side) fender well. It is fairly loud and very noticeable in the cab. It is almost the same sound as if a starter cranks, but will not turn, this weird metal grinding sound. The noise starts slow while accelerating slowly from a stop. Once the truck moves it goes away, no sound while driving and or braking. At the next take off, same thing again.

Now I am thinking it will be the brake sensor hitting the disc, maybe a wheel bearing? But after coming home, I put the truck in reverse and the truck somewhat "jumped" making a thump noise, while in reverse it will not move, (almost like it slipped the gear) and there is a weird vibrating sound, but nothing like what I experienced in the front while driving home.

I am puzzled, truck will go to the shop in the morning, but what do you guys out there think it could be?

No engine performance issues were noted, no warning lights coming on nor did any of the gauges show anything abnormal???

Jochen Woern
06-12-2008, 22:03
The diagnoses is: TRANSMISSION, .................. NEEDS TO BE REBUILT OR REPLACED :mad::(

JoeX87000031
06-13-2008, 01:57
Sorry, not much help with your problem, I have a manual. I was wondering how that chip worked for you. Sounds like you have a really nice set-up. How is the heath remote kit? Do you have any pics. Take care and I hope they fix you up well without breaking you.

Joe

Jochen Woern
06-13-2008, 06:38
Hi Joe,

Yeah, I as well hope they will fix me up without breaking me. :)

The HEATH Kit, Max-E-Tork and Turbo Master work REALLY well, I could not believe how the truck changed after installing both. It is not a "Chip", the Max-E-Tork is a ECM/PCM upgrade, it is the "computer box" located behind the glove box. Go to www.heathdiesel.com and check it out.

Towing is now a breeze, while it was a major pain in the rear when the truck was stock.

Have a great weekend.