PDA

View Full Version : tons of smoke and loss of power

k5guy38
06-16-2008, 19:37
Ok guys i have a 97 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with 111,980 miles on her. The problem is i am only getten around 12 miles to the gallon when driveing normal and no a/c on. If i run the a/c when leaveing stop lights or passing some one it smokes more than it used to. When i tug my trailer even with a light load on it leaveing a light or passin it will black out a intersection. I have replace air filter, fuel filter, and changed the oil. Any ideas on what i should check or replace. Thanks Denny Oh the truck is a automatic with 4.11 rear axle in it.

AKMark
06-16-2008, 20:52
I'd verify the vacuum pump is working and is moving your turbo wastegate. I have rerouted my vacuum lines so that all the vacuum goes to the wastegate instead of being regulated by the computer. It seemed to like this alot and work well.

Just pull the vac line off the turbo and see if it has any vacuum while the motor is running. If it does, your soot collector may be clogged. That happened to me recently, and it amazed me how much better my truck performed without that or the restrictive muffler.

It's just a few thoughts anyway.

k5guy38
06-17-2008, 05:50
Ya i will have to check the vaccum cause i have no muffler or ccat on there it is 3 inch from the turbo out the tail end:D

Robyn
06-17-2008, 06:16
The vacuum pump probably took a poop.

I noticed that the one on my burb was making some noise and last night the power was low.

No suck at the pump so its time.

Give it a check.

Robyn