PDA

View Full Version : 04 Duramax Wont Start

kilo
06-17-2008, 15:18
I have a 2004 2500HD Duramax. It has less than 80K miles. I got in it, started it and let it idle for about 1 minute. I pressed the brake to put it in gear, and it died. It hasnt restarted yet. It has a full tank of fuel. The fuel filter has less than 5k miles on it. It turns over just fine. I pressed the primer a few times and opened the bleeder, and fuel shot out. While I was attempting to start it, I looked down at my gauges, and I noticed that the "DIC" began to flash "Service Brake System". What does this mean? Do this have to do with it not restarting? I also disconnected both batteries and still nothing. I need help please!
Thanks
Kilo:eek:

chadc30
06-17-2008, 23:37
Check for possible air leak in fuel system. My 04 has had 4 "no starts in three 2years. usually when outside temp is hot and half to 1/4 tank. This allows air psi to build and cause leak. Try priming without opening bleed screw, about 40-50 pumps. opening bleed screw lets air in. Also have fuel system checked for leak down.

Mark Rinker
06-18-2008, 07:36
If the fuel priming doesn't solve it...

My 2001 died and wouldn't restart once. It was one of the BIG fuses in the underhood fuse box. Something related to the starter that was on its way out at the time. Very hard to diagnose at the time.

Weird one - keep us posted.

kilo
06-18-2008, 17:37
After taking my 04 Duramax to the dealer, they determined that the alternator had gone bad, and while doing so, killed the cells in the batteries. Just so happened that there was enough juice in the batt. to start and run the truck till I pressed the brake, which took what power was there. And that is what shut the computer down. They wanted $900.00 to r/r alternator and 2 batteries. I got the stuff from NAPA and replaced it myself. It took about 1hr. and $356.00. Thanks for the input.