PDA

View Full Version : Ontario's DriveClean program and diesel conversions

steponmebbbboom
06-20-2008, 19:03
Hello, has anyone in Ontario, Canada had to deal with the driveclean emissions testing program after doing a diesel conversion on a post-1988 vehicle that was originally gasoline-powered?

i am considering a detroit 3-53 conversion on a 91 jeep wrangler and have not gotten any conclusive feedback from the driveclean administration. anyone have some firsthand experience with this?

convert2diesel
06-22-2008, 14:42
If your Jeep hasn't gone through an E-test this year, then go to any license bureau and get it registered as a diesel. This was a slam dunk for my Buick. If the renewal date is close, then would suggest to get it E-tested with the gasser. You have two years to renew plates so that gives you some time to do the conversion, but the change in designation must happen before your plates expire.

Hope this helps.

Bill

steponmebbbboom
06-22-2008, 16:13
OKay, well the jeep has the 4.0 gasser in it now, as soon as i register it i will do the e-test on it as gas, then you're saying if i complete the conversion before the next e-test i can simply convert the designation to diesel and be subject to the regular visual opacity test of automotive diesel vehicles?

driveclean has told me that any "hotrod" (defined as a vehicle that has been re-powered) must meet at minimum the emission limits of the factory original powerplant and must have all related emission equipment of the original engine.

repowering to diesel from gasoline is not defined or explained in any of the driveclean literature or regulations, however the m.o.e. believes there may be a loophole that would only subject me to visual opacity tests. i have heard nothing yet. the jeep is 91 vintage so it is subject to e-test every two years. what do you think, does any of this sound familiar or am i misinformed? thanks...

convert2diesel
06-23-2008, 09:45
OKay, well the jeep has the 4.0 gasser in it now, as soon as i register it i will do the e-test on it as gas, then you're saying if i complete the conversion before the next e-test i can simply convert the designation to diesel and be subject to the regular visual opacity test of automotive diesel vehicles?

driveclean has told me that any "hotrod" (defined as a vehicle that has been re-powered) must meet at minimum the emission limits of the factory original powerplant and must have all related emission equipment of the original engine.

repowering to diesel from gasoline is not defined or explained in any of the driveclean literature or regulations, however the m.o.e. believes there may be a loophole that would only subject me to visual opacity tests. i have heard nothing yet. the jeep is 91 vintage so it is subject to e-test every two years. what do you think, does any of this sound familiar or am i misinformed? thanks...

You are going through the same song and dance I experienced the first time I did it. Finally got to talk to someone who made sense. Turns out, a simple visit to my local license bureau was all that was required. Changed the designation and I was out in 10 minutes. Also changed the colour at the same time. No fuss, no muss.

Bill

steponmebbbboom
06-23-2008, 09:50
thanks Bill, keeping my fingers crossed, will update.