PDA

View Full Version : allis chalmers 210

Showgood1
06-22-2008, 23:14
Well after rewiring, fluid changes, etc. I got her running after a 3 year rest.....for a little while. After checking everything thing out I took off for a second time down the road for a joy ride with the kids. We didn't make it back. Running smooth and cool it started to load up and died. It would turn over very slow and make the most sickening metalic squeel. I'm thinking spun bearing but would it sound like steal on steal? I mean it is loud! No warning just up and quit. If it spun wouldn't it at least knock first? I've never done serious engine work on anything this big before. Could it be anything else besides a bearing failure? Also what all is in involved in rebuilding a turbo on top of everything else it is leaking oil also.

DmaxMaverick
06-23-2008, 10:50
I don't think I'd suspect a spun bearing....Yet.

Check the front acc. drivetrain, which also drives the pump, IIRC. A broken gear, shaft, or sheared pin could make the racket you are hearing. Other possibilities include: broken crank, broken flywheel, broken cam, broken governor, PTO, oil pump, or just about any part of the rotating assy. A spun bearing will usually knock first or seize, and won't usually sound like you describe, by itself. Possible, but not very likely.