PDA

View Full Version : question about boost gauge

k5guy38
06-23-2008, 12:48
I red some one put a vaccum gauge on the intake to read boost how would one go about dong this thanks denny

JohnC
06-23-2008, 14:00
Some "vacuum" gauges can also read pressure. After all, vacuum is just pressure less than ambient pressure...

Back in the "old days" combo gauges to read manifold vacuum and fuel pump pressure were common.

k5guy38
06-23-2008, 16:05
Right The gauge i have reads both. I am wondering where you mount it. I am trying to diag bad fuel milage. I have changed the air filter, fuel filter and checked vaccum at the wastegate 15 ". I am getten pour milage and lots of black smoke. You can hear the turbo working out of the pipes. I have also stragiht throughed the exhaust and made it y off into duals. So it's not the soot collector. It's a 97 chevy vin code f with 111,111 miles 3/4 ton with auto trans and a 4.10 rear end. I have no codes being thrown either and the trans seems to work. Any ideas would be great Thanks Denny

More Power
06-23-2008, 21:04
You can drill & tap most anywhere on the aluminum intake plenum or intake manifold. Most do it at the rear of the intake.

Remove the intake plenum (elbow between the turbo and the intake manifold), then drill & tap so you don't contaminate the inside of the intake with aluminum particles. You may need a new gasket to get the plenum back onto the intake.

Jim