PDA

View Full Version : Gas to Diesel converted engines?

Gearstix
06-24-2008, 00:30
What was involved in converting a gasoline engine to diesel....
didn't GM do this with the 6.2 or 6.5?

See, I've got this small two stroke gas weedeater engine, and I'm wondering what would be involved in converting it to diesel, if it is possible.
I'm thinking that I could...
fill the bottom of the engine with oil, and increase the compression ratio alot.
Thats all I can figure out right now off the top of my head..
I've been looking at
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel-two-stroke1.htm

I have a smog pump from a truck, I could probably rig up to be driven off the engine, which would be some kind of forced induction,(similar to a supercharger, I guess, as it would be belt driven not exhaust driven) and I could either mount the carburetor onto the pump and have it put the diesel/oil mix through the pump and into the engine, or have it "blow" into the carburetor.

Not really sure what to do about the spark plug, would I be able to keep it or make a glow plug?

maybe theres a way to eliminate the carb and make some sort of injection system.. I dont know... would just like it to run on diesel normally.
This is the engine..
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q106/gearstix/18cc%20Poulan/

AKMark
06-24-2008, 04:06
The 6.2 and 6.5 are both Diesels that were always Diesels. I believe the 5.7 Diesel used by GM for a couple years was a convert motor, which is why it had lots of problems.

trbankii
06-24-2008, 07:41
It really isn't possible to turn a gasser into a diesel without pretty much redesigning the engine. Even the 5.7 was a diesel from the start. Chances are that the compression ratio required for diesel to ignite would blow a weedeater motor apart...

DieselMonk
06-26-2008, 15:06
Just like this? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dvcGJMKSo8

Btw that converted GM engine you are talking about was a 5.7L diesel and they converted it over to gas, as a lot of owners had problems with them.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
06-26-2008, 21:17
Did anyone notice the video in the sidebar for the turbocharged lawnmower.

SoTxPollock
07-09-2008, 10:33
GEARSTIX, I've thought about this for at least 10 seconds now, and I can't think of any reason you couldn convert it to diesel. If it has a removable head you'd have to fill in the combustion chamber, or if there is enough metal milll all the combustion chamber off to raise the compression ratio up to where it would autofire the diesel. Perhaps a billet head would last longer, but may need some cooling fins to dissapate heat.
A two stroke engine has no oil in the crankcase, so don't fill the crankcase with oil. It would just pump the oil up into the top of the engine and too much of it would hydrolic lock the engine and bend the rod and boom. The other problem is how to meter the fuel. The gas carburetor meters it with air. Dielsels normally run full open air, no throttling.
Now if you could rig up an injector inplace of the spark plug and have some way to get fuel to the injector you could probably make it run, but probabley not be practical, but may be fun to mess with. You might want to find some reading material on an old detroil diesel engine if you could find any, they were two stroke.

Gearstix
07-12-2008, 18:25
GEARSTIX, I've thought about this for at least 10 seconds now, and I can't think of any reason you couldn convert it to diesel. If it has a removable head you'd have to fill in the combustion chamber, or if there is enough metal milll all the combustion chamber off to raise the compression ratio up to where it would autofire the diesel. Perhaps a billet head would last longer, but may need some cooling fins to dissapate heat.
A two stroke engine has no oil in the crankcase, so don't fill the crankcase with oil. It would just pump the oil up into the top of the engine and too much of it would hydrolic lock the engine and bend the rod and boom. The other problem is how to meter the fuel. The gas carburetor meters it with air. Dielsels normally run full open air, no throttling.
Now if you could rig up an injector inplace of the spark plug and have some way to get fuel to the injector you could probably make it run, but probabley not be practical, but may be fun to mess with. You might want to find some reading material on an old detroil diesel engine if you could find any, they were two stroke.
I could definitley mill it down.
The cylinder and head are one piece and bolted to the bottom of the block. So I could shave that down, which would bring the piston closer to cylinder head, hence raising compression.
I'm not sure how I'd get the fuel to work... that part is kinda beyoned me haha...
I noticed with small r/c aircraft engines people have made diesel heads and converted nitro engines to diesel, which have either spark or glow ignition I think...