PDA

View Full Version : Where can i buy a rebuild cylinder head??

Duraswede
06-24-2008, 05:21
yes i found a crack in my right hand head that's down in the intake port and i cant weld it so i need a new head, i found this place after a few minutes searching: http://www.grainfarmer.com/gm-cylinder-heads.html
are they reliable? anybody bought anything there?
is there any other supplier of rebuild heads?

a quick answer would be appreciated!! thnx, Oskar

More Power
06-24-2008, 22:27
Talk to Eric at www.gmdieseltech.com (http://www.gmdieseltech.com)

Jim

Duraswede
06-27-2008, 17:08
Yesss! today it started and there was no pistons coming out trough the cylinderwalls and so on.. usually i dont have that much luck.. so i wander if it will start tomorrow too.. mayby i shouldn't try...;)
and i found a used cylinder head on internet that was just 300miles away so i drove away and bought it, i took a crack-detecting spray with me to check if that head was cracked too, but it was OK. the place where the crack is seem to be a casting "splice" i dont know how to explain it in english but i mean a place where the melted aluminium come from 2 directions in the casting process, and meet at this place, then it should melt together but on my cracked head it seems that it didn't..

i have pictures on the crack and on all the work i did too. i will upload them in my thread in the picture forum tomorrow.

i got a trouble code when i started it up, i plugged in my predator and it said P0700, TCM malfunction, but i think it is because when i disassembled it, i disconnected the TCM when the ignition was in the ACC position...
i cleared the code and it didn't come back in 10 minutes..

the knocking seem'd to be gone too! i think that my injectors was bad because there was one piston that had an uneven soot pattern on it.. so probably the knocking came from that cylinder.

and something that i havn't heard before is when in turn it off just before the engine stops it makes a "screaming" sound somehing that gives of a very high pitch noise for a half second or so.. could it be the injection pump? i know there is some valve that should relieve the fuel rail pressure, mayby it's what i hear, but the strange thing is that i havn't heard it before....

DmaxMaverick
06-27-2008, 18:42
Sounds like it wasn't too bad an experience. Easier than most DIY'ers.

That squeal is probably the belt. Most Diesels will have a belt squeal at shut down, at some point. You could have got some type of fluid on it. This will be more profound if you have the A/C on. If the pump were squealing, the truck probably wouldn't run at all. The rail pressure relief should be nearly silent, and should never squeal.

Duramaster
07-07-2008, 22:42
The squeal noise could also be the refrigerant in the A/C system equalizing when the truck is shut off.