PDA

View Full Version : My challenge

colinr
06-24-2008, 05:54
I've just got into my shed a 6.5 turbo that will be a rebuilders delight. It's been in an engine bay fire so everything plastic is gone. The turbos buggered and I've stopped looking for the minute but it turns free and compression blows out the glow plug holes OK. These are a little rare here in Australia so getting help at the corner garage aint gonna happen. I need to know what year it is as it will be going into a landcruiser all going well. Unfortunetly the licensing authorities like 1994 engines going into 1994 cars for emissions compliance. I don't know what year engine it is or what it came out of. The numbers at the back say it's a 599 block, which means I was lucky ignorance was bliss when I got this. The engine no.s are 3YYD1026. I will be doing a full tear down and hopefuly just a re-ring and bearings and buying heaps of plastic wires and plugs.

JohnC
06-24-2008, 08:00
Don't know if it helps you or not, but all the emissions differences are external to the engine long block. Most were software, although the light duty engines added a mass airflow sensor in '96 to better monitor the EGR.

The block has date code on it. Someone better versed in the code can tell you how to interpret it, or do a search as it's been covered before.