PDA

View Full Version : TDC Offset Odd Results - 5565 deg! HELP!

CapnAmerica
06-24-2008, 13:04
I'm using an AutoEnginuity system on my laptop. When I try to do TDC Offset Learn, I can creep up from +.5 to 0.0 and...one silly hair later...+5565 or so! If I move the IP more, the HUGE number changes slightly, like it jumped into an alternate universe where degrees of rotation are defined differently!!!

I go according to the instructions given everywhere, using the Time Set feature to get the initial Desired = 0, Actual = 3.5 avg. Then I do either the system's TDC learn or the old switch on/accel. to floor for 45 sec/then switch off for 30 sec. This gives the same basic results.

The motor was a rebuild, after which I set the timing/TDC offset without any issues. It had a little broken crankshaft problem at 8,000 miles or so, was repaired, and now I have this difficulty. I should not have a camshaft keyway wear problem or, hopefully, any crankshaft sensor problem. I believe there is something missing in the initial setup. The IP was a rebuild with the new engine, along with a new PMD.

I unplugged the stepper motor to be certain it was functioning and not stuck. Timing changed when I reconnected it, so I assume it is working. (I had one stuck or binding a while back...it was impossible to set timing correctly.)

Something is basically awry...obviously.:(

Does anyone have any helpful tips or thoughts as to what's happening here? Anything I might try; I'm open for suggestions. I'm going out now to be sure the crankshaft sensor wire is in place and undamaged, but I don't think I would get results at all if this were so?!?!

Thanks, all!

JohnC
06-24-2008, 14:21
I'm sure this will be of no use at all, but it sounds like the software has an issue with negative numbers...

CapnAmerica
06-24-2008, 18:41
I'm sure this will be of no use at all, but it sounds like the software has an issue with negative numbers...

That may be, but if so, it developed it rather suddenly...

I had an AutoTap system, and found it would read TDC offset but would not do the time set, as it did not include bidirectional communication or command mode. However, I hit this same problem with it, which helped me to go ahead and try the AutoEnginuity. At the same time, I replaced my stepper motor, which apparently was binding inside, and the problem seemed solved. That's why I checked the stepper to be sure IT wasn't bound up!:cool:

By the way, for info of whomever is reading this and has an interest in/problems with AutoEnginuity...with the 1996 6.5TD, I have to enter the vehicle info anew each use.:( The VIN apparently is not coded uniquely; thus will not bring up the characteristics for my particular system. By the same token, when I save the configuration, it saves just fine, but then will not recall the full info next time I start it up. I go to the saved config file, but it will not put the enhanced parameters on the screen, which is where reside the command functions. My $.02 worth. (Where DID the cent mark go on these %*&$^% typewriters???)