PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E Gasser vs Diesel

ThePIGSmith
06-24-2008, 20:01
My 1993 GMC 3500 Van is powered by a 6.2L Diesel and a 4L80E.
The 4L80E is bad.

I have a friend that turned me onto a small Chevy salvage yard.
I bought a 4L80E that came out of a Gasser for $300.
The yard owner told me that if it did not work, he would replace it or refund my $$$.

The tranny shop that I am having this swap performed at, told me that in those model years, there is no difference in a Gasser and Diesel 4L80E.
The difference is made up in the TCM.
He thought, maybe, the only difference might be the Torque Converter, but he did not think so and he would need to look it up.
This is one of only a couple of tranny shops in town that will install a junk yard unit.
Most others will not.
Of course, all I am paying for is the labor, tranny flush/new fluid/filter and the shop will not guarantee anything.
Without going into a lot of detail, I trust this shop to do good work.

But...I am slightly concerned.
I've always be taught that Diesel trannys and Gasser trannys are different.
The TC has a lower stall speed and the valve body is programmed with different shift points.
I was told on non electronic units that is true, with the exception of some late model 4L80E that was installed behind 6.5TD, those were slightly different.

My question to the group:
Is there any difference in a Gasser and Diesel 4L80E?
Would a Gasser 4L80E be any harm in my 6.2L powered van, even with a Diesel TCM?

AKMark
06-25-2008, 04:27
Swap the torque converters and you will be good to go. Your TCM will take care of the rest. The different stall speed of the Diesel converter is the only difference between a gasser and Diesel transmission.

ThePIGSmith
06-25-2008, 14:18
Thanks!!
I talked to the shop today.
I spoke with the owner and he told me the only difference between the Gasser and the Diesel is the Torque converter.
He told me the RPMs difference is not the much that other than pulling away from a stop light, I would not know the difference going down the highway.
Later, I may wanna pull a Scout Trailer, so I decided to pay the extra for the Diesel converter.

DmaxMaverick
06-25-2008, 15:20
The stall of a gasser converter is right at about the torque rise of the Diesel. This means, low speed lockups will involve a lot of slippage, and premature clutch failure. You will notice it during normal driving. Perhaps not on the drag strip.

AKMark
06-25-2008, 16:24
He said he was going to get the new TC, that's a good thing.

DmaxMaverick
06-25-2008, 17:11
He said he was going to get the new TC, that's a good thing.Correct. I fixed the oops part. Thanks