PDA

View Full Version : First big pull with my first DSL.

Shed
06-25-2008, 10:14
Vacationed in north Arkansas this past couple of weeks and had a great time! My biggest worries leaving were about the truck and how she would do. I tend to get "too much" info and worry.

While running down the interstate pulling the 5'er wich weighe in at 12k all was fine the first day. Ally was keeping cool, eng temps normal and no odd noises. Plenty of power when I needed it, and did due to some boneheaded cars outside K.C. Checked her at camp and all fluids fine with no leaks or broken pieces.

Day 2 we left the interstate and hauled into the Ozark "mountains" around Branson. What an eye opener, never been to this area before and had no idea what kind of hills I was in for. At one point I was pulling a 4 mile steep grade that switched back 7 times! Narrow road for campers with logging trucks coming around bends at higher than I'm used to speeds! Family said it was pretty but I never looked away from the road! The Ally got a work out this day as I was constantly in "overdrive" going up and then she would downshift to control speed going down. Temp went up to 235 when I got worried and we stopped for lunch letting her idle for 20 minutes to cool and then sit for 20 off. After cooling we got back on the road and it did'nt take long to get back to 225. shortly after we arrived.

what a power house this truck is! I know that my 6.0 gasser would have been in serious trouble trying to keep up with this "older" truck! I was IMPRESSED!

Questions:
How hot is too hot for the tranny? Did I do any damage to her?

Why did I have temp drops when she went into O.D. pulling a big hill, then go back up on the top of the flat ridges? (outside temp was 90 with humidity)

I also ran 1 tank unloaded while there and got 19.8 mpg. I am used to seeing only 17? Any ideas?

How do you check to see if the tranny cooler is operating properly?

Thanks for listening everybody in the family is tired of talking about the truck and how stout she was on our big trip!

On a side note my daughter calls my truck "the bully dog truck" (no bully dog parts though) and frequently talked to and told the truck how good it was at fuel stops and kissed the front quarter panel. I actually got pictures when she was'nt looking! That will be one beutiful little girl driving daddys diesel some day!

Thanks all of you for all your help which made this truck and trip more enjoyable for me!!!!

Very content, Shed

Mountainman
06-25-2008, 10:57
Hi Shed, looks like all is well with the exception of trannie temp. I get concerned when it goes over 225* and you might consider adding a Mike L cooler. Are the engine temps in line? You might want to clean the "stack" of the dirt and dead bugs that build up. Also, make sure the trannie is not over-filled.
I know that area between Branson and Bull Shoals fairly well as I've spent a few vacations there, mostly on Bull Shoals Lake and the White River. Some great shows at Branson but traffic is a killer in the summer. Have a good time. Jim

moss6
06-25-2008, 12:10
I'll second the 'MikeL' cooler, you will never get that hot again with it. They are a bit hard to come by now due to the very limited production of that very specialized cooler. Your best bet is to contact Mike at Englewood transmissions in California and express your need. Tell him an old D7 Cat operator told you to call.
Randy