PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Figure out where to start for conversion

DrumminStewey
06-25-2008, 17:45
Alright, I am a real beginner because I know very little about cars. I am although into environmental causes and wish to turn my automatic gas car into a biodiesel running car. First step in that is to convert to a Diesel engine. I have a 2002 Dodge Neon and am curious of websites, forums, phone numbers, of places in the New Jersey area who I could look into finding a Diesel engine to fit my car. Price is important because it has to be relatively cheap. I would appreciate any input and suggestions and will be asking many questions as this goes on. Thank you in advance for any help.

JeepSJ
06-25-2008, 18:59
You will want to start with a relatively small diesel. Something along the lines of a VW or maybe a Mercedes. A conversion is not going to be "cheap", especially if it is done correctly. You need to pay for the engine, plus adapters for the engine to transmission, engine mounts, exhaust fabrication, fuel system modifications, electrical system modifications, etc...

Are you planning to do the work yourself or have a shop do it?

When you say "biodiesel", are you talking about refined WVO, straight WVO, Bio from a retailer?

DrumminStewey
06-25-2008, 19:26
well biodiesel is my first desire because i believe it requires no additional tanks in order to use it so i can pour diesel in the same tank with it no problem. Im correct right? as far as work goes i hope to do it on my own (with the help of my brother and possible additional but still avoiding expensive shop issues) I have talked with my brother and he has stated that its possible the transmission and such could be kept if a compatible engine was found whether that would be common I am not sure but would be amazing if possible. Thank you for your response hope i answered your questions.

AKMark
06-25-2008, 20:24
Finding a motor that will literally bolt up into your vehicle will probably be close to impossible, but search around. Don't be afraid to use a transmission or transaxle from another vehicle. It is easier to drop the front suspension with engine/transaxle and work at it that way so you can see what bolts into the bottom and make sure to take lots of measurements so when you drop the body back on, it fits. Whatever you do, don't try to pull the motor up and out of that vehicle, it's meant to have the front suspension with motor and transaxle dropped. Shouldn't take but a couple hours do do so and will make this swap nice and easy with lots of room to make adjustments.

A Diesel Mercedes motor from around 1980 would be awesome if you could figure out a transmission combo for it. Don't forget that if you do utilize your current transmission you will need a different torque converter as most diesels have a torque curve far lower than a gas motor. By not swapping converters you will find your motor running excessive RPM's to get moving wasting the fuel you are trying to save money on.

Lastly, realize converting is gonna be costly. Many people (myself included) try to find any way possible to save money during buildups, and often times you will find, a few extra hundred here or there will down the road have saved you thousands if you wouldn't have tried a shortcut that didn't work out on the long haul. Personally, I'd find a good old Mercedes, Toyota, or other model diesel car or small truck and drive it as it is. They are out there, you just have to search harder. I recommend this as sometimes the quirks you get converting will drive you nuts or make it hard for you to ever sell the vehicle if that time ever arrives. Also if you ever break down on the road away from home, it may be difficult to find someone willing to work on if it appears to have been pieced together from different makes and models.

Just my $.02

DrumminStewey
06-25-2008, 20:31
thank you i appreciate your opinion. One main point of me doing this is to find feasibility in doing such a task. i have seen many people say that it is more convenient to buy a older model. I will look for one but i still wish to keep this option open. electric car would be my love but that option i dont know how would work either. thank you again

Gearstix
06-26-2008, 02:59
Well, the vw jetta has a diesel...
you might be able to swap a vw jetta diesel and transmission for your current powerplant. Both cars are front wheel drive....
I'm not sure if it would work at all, just stating facts, and myself like you, are a beginner to the diesel..."thing"

It'd probably be easier to just buy a VW Jetta TDI (the diesel variant) and trade in your neon. Would probably save you alot of head scratchin...

Anything can be done however, with money, willpower, brainpower, and some tools.

You might be able to find a "cutoff" of a diesel jetta... just the front section of the car, dash forward. You'd have alot of what you need there, I'd use the jetta axles and such, and due to the differences in bolt pattern, jetta wheels upfront..

DrumminStewey
06-26-2008, 07:21
yeah i see where ur coming from and i will look into your suggestion right now im still in the questioning the financing due to the fact i dont have a lot of it. i want this to last my quite a long time and due little impact on anything (especially my wallet which i know is hard to do) if anyone believes or knows of and electric conversion or a add on electric item to my gas car to make it a hybrid or any other things like that thatd be awesome. (i know this is a diesel forum i just figured id ask anyway) so thank you for the quick responses thats awesome to hear i wasnt expecting many in the first day thank you again.

DmaxMaverick
06-26-2008, 09:10
Check Chrysler's international information in regards to the Neon. It is entirely possible it was offered outside the US. If so, it is again possible it was offered with a Diesel engine option (I don't know, you'll have to investigate). If so, it's likely it would have been one of Mitsubishi's several small Diesel engine's. And, it would be a near drop-in conversion (and would mate up with the tranny), with needed additional parts available. Also, Mitsubishi may have (again, I don't know) a clone of the Neon, as they probably supply the powertrain, and perhaps even build the car. At the very least, you should be able to find a Mitsubishi Diesel engine that would replace your current gasser, and the dimensions and bolt patterns should match or be very close (closer than others). That should open your options, at least a little.