PDA

View Full Version : Will 6.5 upgrades work on a 6.2?

Lonesome7.3
06-30-2008, 02:33
I just bought an old military Chevy with a 6.2. I also just finished reading an article in Diesel World about 6.5 upgrades. Will those upgrades work on a 6.2? If so, will they be a direct bolt on?

Robyn
06-30-2008, 06:20
Except for the bore size the 6.2 and 6.5 are nearly identical and almost all parts can swap.

What upgrades are you refering to ???? :)

Exhaust- yes Turbo- yes turning up the IP some- yes
Cooling system improvements-yes

I personally would not go after a lot of extra boost when installing a turbo on a 6.2 as the stock pistons are not coated on the crown and the compression is very high.

Best

Robyn

Lonesome7.3
06-30-2008, 06:25
Okay, allow me to take the magazine out of my drawer here.

The only upgrades I know of are listed in this magazine article. I have NEVER dealt with a 6.2 before.

HO water pump

Dual thermostat system

Duramax fan blade (or would I be better off with an electric fan)

Kennedy diesels’ fan clutch

Gear to gear timing set

These are all I am aware of at this point.

Lonesome7.3
06-30-2008, 06:29
I have not even seen this truck yet except in photographs. I have no idea what to expect when I do see it. Right now I want to start ordering simple upgrades for the stock engine. Then I will look into a turbo(s) set up and adding bigger power. Of course I cannot install any of these parts until I return home in 2010, but at least I will have a big pile-o-parts waiting for me.

Robyn
06-30-2008, 06:52
All the goodies you mention are worthy enhancements.

A Banks turbo kit is a great way to wake up a sleepy little 6.2
Ebay and Craigs list can produce some good deals if you watch for them.

Have fun and keep us posted

Robyn

Lonesome7.3
06-30-2008, 07:20
I am kicking around a twin turbo idea right now. But that will be way down the road. Are there any other upgrades I did not mention that I should look into?

Oh yeah, and will the ones I mentioned bolt on with no mods?

More Power
06-30-2008, 09:56
The V-belt 6.2 water pump and fan spin opposite to the 6.5 serpentine belt accessory drive system and 6.5 water pump. So, unless you also install the serpentine belt system, the 6.5 water pump, fan and fan-clutch won't work on a 6.2. It'll bolt on, but won't work very well.... ;)

www.Peninsularengine.com (http://www.Peninsularengine.com) sells a 100-gpm V-belt water pump that they developed for their marine engines. This will work fine in a pickup truck. The stock 6.2 water pump was rated for 70-gpm.

Jim

Robyn
06-30-2008, 17:50
Definately scrounge up a serp drive setup.
The 92-95 have the Alternator on the LH side of the engine and the AC pump on the right.
The later trucks 96 on have the AC pump on the LH side. You will need to do some creative plumbing either way.
The water hoses will all miox and match to get you going.
You may have to do some fab work on the throttle cable bracket when you install the dual stat Xover.

Best

Robyn

Lonesome7.3
06-30-2008, 21:50
Thanks, I am glad you two brought that up. I am not worried about AC because this is a trail/mud/tug-o-war/play truck. I still want to biuld it right though. I take it there is not bolt on after market surpentine kit?

Lonesome7.3
07-02-2008, 09:52
Who would be a good source(s) for other upgrades, enhancements, mods, and so on?

Lonesome7.3
07-14-2008, 00:09
I think I am starting to get the ipmression that 6.2's are not very popular. :confused:

opto
07-14-2008, 01:40
Well it's a nice engine but it has its weaknesses

What you want to upgrade more than what you have discussed befeore depends on what your intention is with the engine

Lonesome7.3
07-14-2008, 02:06
The truck is a short wheel base flightline tugger. It has big running gear with a gear ruduction outer hub. The truck already sits tall enough for same tractor tires, and I am certain the gearing can handle much bigger. I plan to raise it up some more and get the full potential out of the running gear. It will get beat on quite a bit during its off road use. So that being said, I do not plan on biulding a quadruple digit horsepower torque monster, but I do wish to draw some respectable power from it.

brian wafer
07-14-2008, 03:21
i have installed a 1993 serpinetine set up with bigger water pomp used the 93 heavy duty fan, belt tensioner and p.s pomp.i keep alt in stock 1984 location,didn,t want a heavy a/c compressor as an idler. and installed and idler pully where the 1993 alt was. too fit alt shorten bracket about 1/2 inch. working great!

opto
07-14-2008, 03:52
With

upgraded cooling
geardrive
lowering the compression a bit
turbo
intercooler
hummer intake
4911 IP (from early 6,5TD)
fresh 6,5 TD injectors
stud girdle
good oil cooling
open exaust

you get a fairly powerful and torqey engine that still is reliable

Lonesome7.3
07-14-2008, 06:27
Brian, did you peice it all together or did you have a donor? What kind of cost am I looking at to do the same thing?

Lonesome7.3
07-14-2008, 06:28
Opto, thank you very much. That is the kind of list I was looking for. That sounds like a good start.

Robyn
07-14-2008, 07:44
The 6.2 has been out of civy production since 93 and maybe a few model a little later but they are the same basic engine as the 6.5

Most folks want power from their diesel rigs and the 6.5 TD platform is just a little better jumping off spot.

I personally would love to have a little late 80's to 91 Blazer 4x4 with a 6.2.
Simple and easy to maintain and they get great mielage.

Not going to set the world on fire but a good little engine.

Have fun

Lonesome7.3
07-14-2008, 07:59
That is why I have always wanted a trail rig with a 6.2. I am certain it will start when I am way off in the woods some where.

brian wafer
07-15-2008, 04:07
i bought a banks turbo ,from a guy on gm diesel,he sold me the set up complete with serpinetine belt,but he had not installed belt, only turbo.i bought a 1993 599 motor to install turbo on ,and most of pulleys where on it,can,t see why it would be expensive! my old 6.2 had over 250,000miles,and had a head gasket gone,with 3 cracks in block,didn,t want to add turbo to it,but it was still running good low compresion no power.its a 1984 jimmy had it for 12 years,replaced fuel pomp once early on,it heated last summer towing .

Lonesome7.3
07-15-2008, 04:55
I have been pricing doner 6.5's. I figured I would get one and pull the surp set up and anything else that would cross over. Then run all those upgrades I read about. But damn I was not expecting even junk 6.5's to cost so much. The low hour Cummins 12V I just bought is half of what a 6.5 is going for with an unknown history.