PDA

View Full Version : Greetings From MN

Johnny Cetane
06-30-2008, 08:27
Hi people. My name is Sam and I'm from the Twin cities are in MN. I just picked up my new to me LLY last week. It's an '05 with about 53K on it. I came out of a '96 Dodge with the Cummins. This has been quite the change. I worked for a GM dealer for years and was constantly driving these trucks wishing to have one some day so here I am. Hopefully I can meet some fellow MN members here and get a GTG in.

I didn't waste much time and have a Magnaflow catback, gauges, PPE Standard tuner and Trippin overhead gauge mount coming this week. I'm going to try and get it all done before my little road trip over the holiday weekend. :eek:

This is a pic taken this weekend after a severe debadging session on Saturday. All emblems died except for the D'max badge that was relocated to the hood.

Mark Rinker
06-30-2008, 08:46
Nice looking rig. I like the smoothed out look without 'all the advertising' for the dealership, factory, etc...

I am from Elk River, MN and have been a loyal TDP member for about 5 years.

Look forward to hearing about your reactions to the Duramax vs. experience with the Cummins.

Johnny Cetane
07-01-2008, 07:03
Thanks.

As far as Cummins to Duramax it's been quite the change. My Dodge was a 96/auto/4x4 with some Banks stuff, intake, 5" exhaust and a homemade #10 plate. (You can see it in the back ground or my pic) It was pretty mild and if it wasn't for the crummy stock auto it would have probably dyno'd close to 300 or so. I liked the motor, hated the wrapper. The GM truck as a whole is 10 times the truck. I also drove a 2006 Dodge just before buying mine to see if I'd be missing anything. Other than more power and a better trans than my 96 I really didn't see much improvement.

I've noticed some things. My Max likes to rev a lot more when I get after it. There seems to be more turbo lag than my Cummins had too so that's been a little adjustment. I also see that 1/2 hour turbo and injector swaps are a thing of the past. lol I love how quiet it is. It's just night and day.

I can't really say I prefer one motor over the other. I know I prefer the Chev to Dodge.

Robyn
07-01-2008, 07:45
I know what you mean about the "wrapper"
I traded a 94 GMC Dually 6.5 in on a 95 Dodge and the truck ran fine but the tranny sucked and a buckboard would have seemed luxurious compared to the Dodge.

Swapped the 95 Dodge off for a 97 Ford PS and the stroke was a real PITA always in the shop for something.
Warranty was about up and I sold it and bought an 86 GMC dually.

Sold that and now back to a 95 Dually crewcab GMC 4x4 with a 6.5.

Doge trucks will get the job done for sure but the "wrapper" as you say is just lacking.

The GM trucks have got a comfy feel all their own and they stay that way even after many 100K miles.

Best

Robyn

MagnaFlowRep
07-01-2008, 12:48
Hi people. My name is Sam and I'm from the Twin cities are in MN. I just picked up my new to me LLY last week. It's an '05 with about 53K on it. I came out of a '96 Dodge with the Cummins. This has been quite the change. I worked for a GM dealer for years and was constantly driving these trucks wishing to have one some day so here I am. Hopefully I can meet some fellow MN members here and get a GTG in.

I didn't waste much time and have a Magnaflow catback, gauges, PPE Standard tuner and Trippin overhead gauge mount coming this week. I'm going to try and get it all done before my little road trip over the holiday weekend. :eek:

This is a pic taken this weekend after a severe debadging session on Saturday. All emblems died except for the D'max badge that was relocated to the hood.

Great Choice in the exhaust system We appreciate it:D

NutNbutGMC
07-01-2008, 14:09
Hi Sam. Welcome aboard. Nice machine you have there...

winemaker
07-03-2008, 11:33
I had a 93 Dodge Cummins and my thoughts were identical to yours: loved the engine, hated the wrapper ( and the auto trans).
My wife chided me saying "I can't belive you bought a Dodge". My standard insult is to call someone a Dodge-driver. I insisted that I bought a Cummins and it came in a Dodge wrapper.
I have no disillussion that my high-miler 6.5 isn't the powerplant the low-miler Cummins was, but the truck is sooooo much nicer that it more-than makes up for it. Welcome to the team.
Brett