PDA

View Full Version : Which new PMD supplier to choose?

stapleton
07-01-2008, 19:49
I have been performing the turbo tips for DTC code 35. After reading many posts mentioning the link between a PMD and an intermittant cruise control problem I also have I am planning ahead for the potential purchase of a new PMD and remote mount. I have read about the Dtech one . The one from Kennedy diesel and the one from DSG. The Dtech seems to priced the best then the DSG one since I am in Canada. Does anyone have new insights into which PMD/remote mount kit to choose or not to choose. Thxs

More Power
07-01-2008, 21:21
We're hoping the DTech module works out to be the solution. We won't likely know for a while yet whether it is closer to the final solution, but they have been available and in-service for more than a year now. I haven't heard of a failure... yet. All of the other module/coolers I'm aware of still retain the Stanadyne module but use their own variation on the type of heat sink used (if buying a "kit").

I'd be inclined to go with the DTech, but.....

Jim

JFerg65
07-02-2008, 04:37
I'm going with the D-Tech unit. If you go to Pensacola Diesel they offer the D-Tech and a couple of different cooler units with extentions to remote mount. I've spoken to them a couple of times and they seem to be good people.

I haven't order mine yet because I just dropped $500.00 in new front hubs, rotors and pads. The Spare PMD is now next on the list.

Robyn
07-02-2008, 05:50
I have the D Tech on my DaHoooooley and it seems fine.

As far as the coolers go, as long as you get the little creature out of the heat and into some fresh air it will be as good as it is going to get.

Any good heat sink that is FLAT and has fins to allow the heat to dissipate will do fine.

If the cooler is not flat and the PMD does not have good contact then issues could easily occur.

I have the DTech mounted on a 1/2" thick plate with fins on it down on the forward skid shield right below the radiator on the inside where it wont get hit.

Many folks supply the coolers and the extension cables.

For best service give one of our supporting vendors a try.
These folks have a reputation for taking care of their customers and to me this speaks volumes.

Seems that GM has now Authorized the use of the DTech unit in place of the Stanadyne.

The price is certainly inviting.

Best

Robyn

dandl
08-09-2008, 13:28
i have been reading all these post's about d-tech pmd's and remote mounting, we the
owners of these 6.5 diesel engine will not know if the d-tech works as claimed until they
are mounted on the pump, a pain to get to, YES, but i am going to get one and mount it
on the pump, heat or no heat, by the way i do drive a 1996K1500 with about 85000 miles
own it's third injector pump, lost count of PMD's

JCM5
08-26-2008, 06:05
I placed a new Dtech unit on mine this spring. I read all the hype and heat issues.
Soo I put it to the test.

Bought a new unit from Penn. Diesel with the larger heat sink and cable
Placed the unit in the same location as Kennedys.
Pulled my 31 foot trailer and family of 5 and Fire wood on a 87F degree day, flat land I should note.
At the end of a 5 hour run, the heat sink was barely hot. I could hold my hand on it. Used a Non Contact Pyro and read 118F.
My engine is all stock and has 165K
This is a dually

I also should note the engine ran smoother with the new Dtech, originall is still on pump. Original did not die but I noticed some fish bite on crusing speeds after a few hours of running.

I am pleased with everything soo far.

Cost was around 450 for everything

arveetek
08-26-2008, 10:59
I've had my D-tech FSD for several months and haven't had any issues.

My new Stanadyne replacement FSD (remote-mounted) only lasted about 2 years.

Casey

GeorgeD
08-30-2008, 07:06
02 express van 3500 168K mls. I'm on my 3rd replacement Stanadyne PMD in last 45K mls. All 3 were Stanadyne, 1 on a remote cooler from local Detroit Diesel repair shop. Nothing fancy, flat pc of alum, no fins. Lasted just over 1 yr, 20K. Replaced with SS Diesel unit 07/2007. Started having PMD problems again 07/08, lucky I had a new SS Diesel unit that I hadn't installed on my 98 6.5TD Express. When I contacted SS Diesel, Walt said it sounded like the PMD screws had not been retorqed to 23 IN LBS. I looked at all my paper work and install instructions, didn't see anything about retorq. I checked the torq on the new unit and the old, 23 on new and 20 on old. SS Diesel tells me now that I should retorq every 2nd oil change. Big hassell on a van, but if it saves $200+ for a new PMD, not to mention the thrill of engine cut off @70mph, no power anything. It will be done.