PDA

View Full Version : Truck died, what happened?

tbuck
08-25-2004, 08:11
Left work this morning. Pulled out to the street, took my foot off the accelerator to check for cars, and the motor died!
Started right back up, idling fine. Tapped on the pedal to rev it up a little and it died again. No spit or spudder. It sounded like you were to rev it up and turn the ignition off.
So I backed up into the parking lot, and popped the hood to see whats up. I couldn't get it to do it again, but whenever I rev'd it up it blew alot of white smoke. It usually only does that on initial start up. Drove home without any problem.

Any ideas of what caused it?
It's been raining hard for the last four days so on my way home, I picked up some fuel conditioner, added that to the tank and topped it off at a place that is readily used. I also picked up a new fuel filter and will be swapping it out today since it is due for a change.

A little info on the truck. '93 6.5TD with new glowplugs, injectors and fuel pump. I don't know how old the injection pump is. I had a mechanic check it a year ago and he said it was fine. While on vacation last week down south in hot weather, I noticed that when it was hot and it sat for 20+ minutes, I had to pump on the accelerator to get it to start. It also idled rough when it was hot outside.

charliepeterson
08-25-2004, 18:54
Being a '93 You don't have the PMD?

When you start it up in the morning does the fast idle come on?

It sounds like it could be just a bum fuel filter starving the Injection Pump.