PDA

View Full Version : In Laws In the Mountains with my Burb.... Help Please.

DieselDavey
07-02-2008, 17:41
Well...

Got the damn Power Steering Pump Replaced, Changed Oil & ordinary stuff...

Service Engine Soon light was on, code reader stated it was the Turbo Wastegate Vacuum Solenoid... Replaced that.

Recharged Air Conditioner...

My In Laws got 25 Miles from home and the alternater blew chunks... Replaced that.

Now they are in the mountains and the service engine soon light is on.

Is there a way to get the code without a reader? I did a search(es)...

I heard there is a way to turn the key on & off to get the Service Engine Soon light to blink the code...

The vehicle seems to be running fine... Dad in Law checked the Air Conditioning Pressure before leaving and was just where it should be (according to him...), so I don't think thats the reason for the SES light.

Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
07-02-2008, 21:02
Sorry to hear this.

The A/C won't cause a code.

If there is an Autozone in the area, they check codes for free. Otherwise, just about any shop should be able to do it, but will probably charge a minimum fee for it. The OBD II trucks (started in 1996) can be read only with a scanner or code reader. There's no "trick" like on the 94-95 models.

If the truck is running fine and the gages aren't complaining, it should be fine to get them to a more convenient place to check it out. The code is probably trivial, anyway, and won't slow them down. At any rate, it should be checked at their soonest convenience.