PDA

View Full Version : Gauges Installed - Now What?

gmenor
01-18-2004, 05:55
Got the gauges (Autometer Lunar)installed which went pretty well. There was a bit of confusion on the pyrometer probe location. I've downloaded and read every post on which was correct location. Autometer instruction's was on the turbo exhaust outlet (muffler??) and some of the posts have it on the exhaust crossover manifold. I put in on the down pipe below turbo exhaust outlet leading to the catalytic converter after looking at JK's web site.
The question is at idle my boost gauge is at zero and under load does not exceed 6 psi. Is this good thing? The pyrometer goes up to around 300-400 under load. I've only drove about 10 miles to insure the tranny temperature gauge was working. Other than the FSD Cooler, idler gears and high capacity water pump it is pretty much stock. What is the normal average range of the boost and pyrometer? I'm a hog looking at a wrist watch.

Dvldog 8793
01-18-2004, 06:21
Howdy
Welcome to world of Swine-Chronograghy! :D
When I first installed my guages, it took about 1/2 hour in the shop trying to figure out why I couldn't get any boost! Must be a plugged line :rolleyes: After talking to a OTR friend he said that I would have to rev the hell out it to get boost while sitting in the shop. Anyways, Without my JK boost control I run a MAX of 7-8psi and with it I peak at 13-14psi. Your temps sound about the same as mine but when I've got a load on that can change FAST!
Do you still have the stock exhaust on?
Open up the pipes and add some boost and then HANG on! :D
Hope this helps...
L8r
Conley

gmctd
01-18-2004, 06:35
Those readings are about normal - give yourself a few weeks to get a better feel.

EGT response will depend on how far down the downpipe the probe is located.
Some think best response and most accurate readings are in driver's side exhaust manifold, or crossover pipe just below flange.
Others say passenger side manifold, just below turbo, as in JK's pictures.

Zero boost is correct at idle, may spike to 10 or so under heavy load.
If it never boosts above 6psi, consider new air filter, fuel filter, wastegate solenoid, OPS, lift pump, in that order, then check to see if your oxidizer\soot trap is plugged. (What some call the "cat", for catalytic convertor).

Then, prepare yourself for a long series of battles with the missus, as you work thru various excuses for upgrades, so necessary to keep the truck running right. ;)

gmenor
01-18-2004, 11:47
Thanks for the replys,
I guess tapping on the gauges will wear out as I get use to the normal ranges. I kept on reading 12-15 psi on the boost (from other posts) and may have thought that maybe something was wrong or I am missing out on the fun. I do intend on upgrading the exhaust system but that will have to wait till warmer weather.

ucdavis
01-20-2004, 18:10
Pretty sure those 12+ boost figures are based on some mod. Mine is stock as to boost program & tops out @ about 8psi. EGT is load dependent (GVW & % grade you're pulling) and you can get a good feel w/a coupla hour test drive thru range of conditions. Some say 100-200 degrees lower reported EGT post-turbo on the probe vs. driver's exh.manifold or just below it in the corssover. That'd mean you need to add 100-200 to get EGT in the head, and probably some more for in the cylinder. What matters though is to find out what upper limit you want to hold & adjust your driving to that. I want my engine to last 250K, and pull 16,000GVW all the time, so I try to keep time @ 1250 to less than 15 seconds, time above 1100 to well less than a minute, and generally under 1000 (my probe is in cross-over under driver's man.). These are guestimates on my part as to effectiveness, and require that I watch the gauge and vary my foot accordingly. I don't get to stomp on it all the time which would be cool, and could be possible if I had an intercooler or maybe water injection (which I'm looking into; Heath Diesel has a kit, Hmmmmmm).

gmenor
01-21-2004, 00:35
Well made the drive back from Fayetteville, NC to Fredericksburg, VA Sunday. The average boost was @ 2.5 to 3 PSI and EGT at around 300 dgrees (on level ground) cruise control on. Going up the James River Bridge on 295 I got 6 PSI on the boost and 400 degrees on the EGT. One thing that I did notice (making the commute twice a month) is the Suburban's lack of power. I had suspected that the turbo was on the blink but, after installing the gauges I have since tuned in to hearing the turbo spin up. I haven't pulled the air snorkel out yet - but it's history as of this weekend. I suspect the injectors need to be replaced (167k) which will happen within the next month. I will probably go with stock injectors and while I'm there redo the valve covers (leaking oil). I don't drive aggressively but want power to be there when needed. I used to haul a boat but that has since been sold.