PDA

View Full Version : 55-MPH Speed Limit?

More Power
07-05-2008, 12:23
Sen. John Warner, R-Va., asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to look into what speed limit would provide optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/070408dnmetspeedlimit.214e93d0.html)

Back in the day, the 1974-1995 Federal imposed 55-mph speed limit was reported to save about 167,000 barrels of oil a day.

Warner is looking into what effect the reduction in crude oil use would have on pump prices, with the possible reintroduction of the reduced speed limit....

The U.S. currently exports nearly 2M barrels of crude oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and other refined petroleum products per day.

Why not stop exports??? About 12 times more petroleum products are exported every day compared to what a proposed 55-MPH speed limit might save.

Jim

BillMoncrief
07-05-2008, 12:42
Hello all
I have tried various speeds to try for better mpg. To date I get the best mpg running at 60 mph at about 1900 to 2000rpm with the cruise on. I also keep my sixgun on level 3,drop down to level 2 to tow. I have tried the various settings but mpg remains within 10ths of a gallon. However doing everything else the same I lose 2 to 3 mpg at 55 mph. I would also agree to end exports as a better alternitive. As for that matter we could also end the imports across our southern border. OOPS sorry different subject.
Bill Moncrief

More Power
07-05-2008, 13:00
I've long advocated 65-mph as the best compromise between fuel efficiency and transportation efficiency. But, I don't like unreasonable speed limit restrictions for open highways in sparsely populated states - like here in the west. ;)

Jim

93GMCSierra
07-05-2008, 13:04
for todays tech is too slow as the engine rpm then starts to lug, and that uses more fuel to maintain then having the engine run alittle faster in its power band.

john8662
07-05-2008, 20:57
It's about time that they at least talked/discussed a reduction in speed to conserve fuel. I'm still under the firm impression that we don't have a supply problem causing prices to soar like they have.

I like the Ending of exports idea.

I'm also on to the fact that the number of oil that we supposedly "consume" in barrels is false, due to the fact that a large quantity of the figure we don't even keep/see.

60 or 65 MPH is a good compromise.

The truck in my signature (the only diesel I operate now a days) won't cruse at 55 well either. It's geared 3.23 with 30" tall tires, But, it does cruise very well with TH700 in OD with converter clutch locked at 95 Mph. May have that ticket somewhere around here (red n blue lights behind). Just glad that I wasn't clocked doing the 130+ I was doing ;)

ronniejoe
07-05-2008, 23:27
I wrote Mr. Warner a letter chastising him for attempting to increase government intrusion into our lives. I suggested that he should consider calling for more oil exploration and production in ANWR and on the continental shelf instead of restricting our freedom of movement. Doubt that it will do much good, though.

HH
07-06-2008, 18:14
The U.S. currently exports nearly 2M barrels of crude oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and other refined petroleum products per day.

Why not stop exports??? About 12 times more petroleum products are exported every day compared to what a proposed 55-MPH speed limit might save.

Jim

Why about a huge tariff/tax on the exports that would make it more expensive at its final destination?

But, I don't like unreasonable speed limit restrictions for open highways in sparsely populated states - like here in the west. ;)

Didn't MT just get speed limits a few years ago?

More Power
07-07-2008, 00:47
Didn't MT just get speed limits a few years ago?

MT, like all other states, got the 55 till the fed law was changed in 1995 (MT had to either comply with the 55 or lose fed highway funding). For a time after lifting the 55, MT had a "reasonable and prudent" speed law on major secondary highways and Interstates, which meant many different things to as many different individuals (cops & drivers). Cops didn't like not having a rule by which to measure... For example, 80-mph in a new Corvette on a clear Interstate was deemed "reasonable and prudent" by a traffic judge, while the Highway Patrol officer who wrote the original ticket strongly disagreed.

I got a ticket in 1997 while the reasonable and prudent law was in effect. The patrol officer chose another issue to write the ticket on - other than speed - though speed was the issue. :rolleyes: At the time, they stopped writing speeding tickets almost entirely, and instead wrote tickets for other potential infractions, like turn signal use, improper passing, tailgating, improper lane changes, and so on. An individual couldn't argue those in traffic court. ;) The highway patrol eventually got their way, and MT again saw posted speed limits.

Jim

trbankii
07-07-2008, 06:11
A pet peeve of mine that they cannot even begin to regulate but likely wastes much more fuel is the idiots that feel that they have to floor it from stoplight to stoplight...

We have a stretch of road here with a series of stoplights that are actually in series as far as the controls go. If I slowly start off from the first light and come up to the posted limit, each light turns green as I approach it - which is what they intended. Of course, everyone around me is flooring it and then slamming on the brakes at the next intersection, waiting the few seconds for the light to turn green, flooring it, slamming on the brakes, flooring it...

Problem is that you cannot legislate intelligent driving just by posting speed limits...