PDA

View Full Version : which truck 2 Diesel?

samara21
07-05-2008, 17:20
Well I have read and hunted, and today took the plunge! I bought a mercedes 300 5 cylinder turbo diesel automatic, and a 240D 4 cylinder 4 speed. I bought both because the 240 was very cheap and had a 4 speed that I could use with the 5 cylinder turbo. The 5'r ran very good with no blo by.
My question is I am looking for a truck to put the 5'r into. I originally thought of a ranger, s10, or taco; but the engine bay looks to small for that. My next choice would be a dakota or maybe a toyota t-100. Lastly I am considering a ram 1500 short bed. My major goal is fuel economy and a switch to SVO & WVO two tank. Please let me know the Pluses & minuses of the various ( engine/trans/truck) combinations and any particular major pitfalls you have seen.
thanks

Heartbeat Hauler
07-05-2008, 19:31
Do those M-B diesels put out enough torque to actually move a full size truck? I would think a Jeep with deep gears maybe 4.10s if the tires aren't too tall or maybe the jeep comanche (pickup).

I think a CBT4 woulda been a good diesel engine choice with almost 300 ft lbs. of torque for a full size truck.

I have actually been lookin for a M-B 300D for a daily driver and the engines I have read about seem down on power, in my opinion, for full size trucks. If you have some tricks for that engine I sure would like to hear them!

JP

samara21
07-05-2008, 23:01
The power is not great but it pushes the 4000# benz around pretty good. I drove it today. I think the hp is around 120 and 170 for torque. Should be in the gas 6 range! I was thinking if i cut a 1000# off the benze weight the performance would be adaquate and the mileage would improve some. I am leanind toward the dakota for the larger engine bay. I am conserned about the front sump on the Benze though.

Heartbeat Hauler
07-07-2008, 18:47
The power is not great but it pushes the 4000# benz around pretty good. I drove it today. I think the hp is around 120 and 170 for torque. Should be in the gas 6 range! I was thinking if i cut a 1000# off the benze weight the performance would be adaquate and the mileage would improve some. I am leanind toward the dakota for the larger engine bay. I am conserned about the front sump on the Benze though.

Droppin' a 1000 lbs will definitely help. I wonder if a custom pan would be better solution unless low-buck is the name of the game.
JP

B. N, G.
09-03-2008, 14:43
SAMARA 21 i spent a day exploring this sub crawlin round in upick & came to same conclusion .as my innernet ?s were never caught by a person that said been there did it this way. i found that f/s square nose late 80s early 90s dodges appear to offer most room 617 eng & trans installation with minimumal major mods as the 617 is TALL & LONG for instll in small impt & dom trks. alotta info is avail on cummins into fs ford & gm but nuthin on benz into p/u's.im lookin for a small budget project my donor 85 td 175k mi. runs great probs many wisky bumps, rust, springs thru seat cushions etc. no loss or consumption of fluids btween services is what makes project seem worthwhile . i suspect OLD GIRL'S po used her as a delivery wagon. i recently aquired a camera so pics will be available looking forward to progress pics of your endeavor . regards butch

trbankii
09-03-2008, 18:16
Here is a thread where a guy is swapping a 240D into an '89 Toyota 4Runner:

Mercedes Turbo-Diesel to W56--'89 4Runner Build (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645413)

Disclaimer: Pirate4x4 may not be for the faint of heart. Watch your step.

More Power
09-08-2008, 11:51
The original 6.2L non-turbo diesel produced 130-140 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque at the crank. GM installed this engine in their 1/2-ton trucks and Suburbans, their 3/4-ton trucks and Suburbans and even in their 1-ton trucks.

The 6.2L diesel power level is perfectly adequate for most people, unless they tow or are power meisters.

So, if the MB 5-cyl puts out approximately the same or more power/tq, it'll do... ;)

Jim