PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fans

bgaiche
07-06-2008, 10:34
Has anyone installed the Flexi lite 284 fan assy. in there truck? If so, are you satisfied? I have 04 lly and do very little pulling. Was concidering this approach in order to save some fuel and quicker warm ups. Thanks in advance for your input. Bill in Ok.

DmaxMaverick
07-06-2008, 14:54
A few members have tried them. Also, a friend of mine has tried it.

The don't save fuel.
They don't help with warm-up.
The LLY may have cooling issues without any help, so it may be a very bad idea.
You will never see a return on your investment.
That said, installing one as an auxiliary is not a bad idea. It may help reduce the engagement of the engine driven fan, and the engine driven fan will still be available when needed. It should also help with in-town driving and A/C use. I have an aux. electric for my LB7, but haven't installed it yet.

Mark Rinker
07-06-2008, 17:16
I simply cannot imagine any electric fan providing BETTER airflow than the more-than-capable OEM setup on the Duramax.

Why mess with a good thing, when the 'thing' is so incredibly important to towing capabilities and engine longevity?

Just my .02 worth.

SoTxPollock
07-07-2008, 10:14
The only place I can think of that having the electric fans plus your OEM fan would be a benefit would be sitting still stuck in traffic for hours in 112 degrees Nevada or someplace like that. It would help the air conditioner to exchange the heat without having to rev up the engine to get more air flow, kind of belts and suspenders but hey its your truck.
Under normal circumstances there is no electric that can move the equivalent amount of air as the stock fan, but some people want change even if it's not an improvement.